Alternator conversion - Help!

barney2005

I fitted the alternator today and everything seemed to go well, if slowly.  I taped off the black earth, joined wire from F to thin wire from D, and connected all the other wires together (5 in total) using an earth block from Screwfix, which someone suggested.  As I could not find the crimping tool to use Lucar connectors, I used a single section from a terminal block to join the two thin wires, one in each side.  Everything is well wrapped with amalgamating tape.

However, I seem to have a problem.  When I turned on the ignition, there was no red warning light anymore - just the green light.  As it was getting late, I chickened out of trying to start the car (better safe than sorry) until I can check things over tomorrow.  My first question is - should I see the red warning light with an alternator fitted?  My next question is - could any of you kind, knowledgeable people advise me on what to check or suggest where I may have gone wrong?  

You must have the warning light connected to excite the alternator and make it work.
The thin wire that connects to the small terminal on the alternator is connected to the warning light wiire. you should be able to trace this by looking under the dash to find the right coloured wire.
Cheers Tony.

Archived