Stuart Wilson

1/ Does it overheat?
2/ Does it overheat?
3/ Does it overheat?

If none of the above it is unlikely to have head gasket issues.  As above, I'd check ignition and fuel pump maybe the carb settings but ignition is the likely culprit.  I think the Delco distributer could be a weak point on these cars too.  Plug leads and those extension pieces that go down the rocker box used to be the bane of my life when I ran a Sprint 35 odd years ago.

Mark

Mark, the Sprint has a Lucas 44D4 dizzy. It was only the 1850 that had the hateful Delco dizzy. That's why I've got a Sprint dizzy in my 1850. The compression figures are on the limit of "within 10% of each other" so the head might just need retorquing. If your dizzy shaft has some play in it, you will get timing scatter. The only fix is to recondition/replace the dizzy or to fit electronic ignition. There are some poor quality ignition parts out there so don't rule out the new parts. Check your carb mounts. An air leak might affect running.

Well folks, looks like I've cured it. Before my trip to Ireland in it I had a lot of bits and pieces done to it. Fresh carb mounts, various vacum pipes, plugs, leads, cap, points and basically it was running fine.
I'd done about 1000 miles before it started playing up. On friday I changed the plugs and checked the cap and rotor arm, hey presto it is running on all four and going well. I'm putting itdown to a dodgy plug. I'd ruled them out originally as they were effectively new, but I had another set so was no harm trying them.

Thank you for all the advice

Well folks, looks like I've cured it. Before my trip to Ireland in it I had a lot of bits and pieces done to it. Fresh carb mounts, various vacum pipes, plugs, leads, cap, points and basically it was running fine.
I'd done about 1000 miles before it started playing up. On friday I changed the plugs and checked the cap and rotor arm, hey presto it is running on all four and going well. I'm putting itdown to a dodgy plug. I'd ruled them out originally as they were effectively new, but I had another set so was no harm trying them.

Thank you for all the advice

Never assume new parts are immune to faults! At one point I replaced the plugs on my Toledo, just as a general service item, and within a few weeks it was only running on three cylinders. The ceramic of one of the brand-new plugs had given out, causing a blow-by leak that developed into complete non-function. And they were a reputable brand (albeit bought from Rimmers, IIRC).

Never assume new parts are immune to faults! At one point I replaced the plugs on my Toledo, just as a general service item, and within a few weeks it was only running on three cylinders. The ceramic of one of the brand-new plugs had given out, causing a blow-by leak that developed into complete non-function. And they were a reputable brand (albeit bought from Rimmers, IIRC).