Exhaust supplier

heraldcoupe

Quite early on the Round Britain Run, my hastily purchased Acclaim developed a blow on the exhaust. I checked that nothing was likely to fall off, then pressed on with the run, without further incident. I'll be getting underneath to patch tings up in the next few days, I believe the body of the silencer has opened up on the top side as the damage isn't visible.

I will ultimately need a new exhaust system, something which was a problem whan I last owned an Acclaim. I've seen the thread regarding making new exhausts, but does anyone have experience of this German company?
http://www.auspuff-sets.de/as-.....mp;ac=1LWelZSj39Y%3D

There's a likelihood that I will be using the Acclaim as a transport for my new job, so I don't want to be lwft stranded through a disintegrating exhaust,

Cheers,
Bill.

Bill,

I'm looking into manufacturing exausts for the Acclaim in stainless steel. I'm discussing with Simon Goldsworthy 'off-line' as it were to bring together a proposal etc. I'm hoping to get production underway over winter (bit of welding to keep warm!).

I've also had a quick chat with Colin Wake about an Acclaim he knows about that I can use for jigging up a prototype exhaust.

Maybe not the answer you were hoping for, but as you know yourself, supporting the little man is important and often difficult. Let Simon Goldsworthy know if you're interested in a stainless system as he's looking after the orders and I'm looking after manufacture.

Bill, RTV Silicone (AKA silicone bath sealant) run into the seam to seal the blow, covered in a suitable baked bean can (don't tell me, you're sick of beans!) and a big jubilee clamp or twisted wire strap - all this to shore up the lousy box until the stainless jobbie comes available?

I've been keeping exhausts going on my moderns years past their use-by date - never fails!

Cheers, Richard

If it's of any comfort to Bill, after years of messing around with Acclaims and many bad exhausts, I can say that the chances of being properly stranded with an exhaust problem is nil. Yes they can fall off or fall apart, but they can be tied back on easily enough with a bit of soft iron or copper wire and - so long as you can stand the noise - you will get home OK. Boots do a nice line in foam earplugs that I can recommend 😀

Quoted from rlubikey
Bill, RTV Silicone (AKA silicone bath sealant) run into the seam to seal the blow, covered in a suitable baked bean can (don't tell me, you're sick of beans!) and a big jubilee clamp or twisted wire strap - all this to shore up the lousy box until the stainless jobbie comes available?

I'm not too worried about lashing-up the silencer, I'm more concerned about it failing where the pipe enters the silencer, making a satisfying repair here is no fun.
I'll get underneath and make a proper inspection tomorrow,

Cheers,
Bill.

My local motor factor (Yeovil Motor Factors) has an extensive collection of exhausts, some of which go back a fair way.  May be worth giving them a bell though I'm not sure how well catalogued the older stuff is.  I'm occasionally allowed in there to look for sections that are about the right shape but I wouldn't know what an Acclaim exhaust looks like.

Also, may be worth contacting someone like Longlife who will build a bespoke stainless system on the car.  They've got branches in Westbury and Thornbury and their HQ is in Bridport.

I used to make Herald/Vitesse/Dolomite exhausts from used sections raided from the skip at my local "Pitstop".  The Dolly ones were fairly tricky....

Nick

I've been under the car this morning and it's the lower face of the silencer which is deteriorating. It feels wafer thin in several places, with a couple of cracks - not surpricing for a car which has rarely done 100 miles between MOTs. The structure feels quite sound, I will see if I can detach the rear section without shearing bolts, in which case I can make a neat, welded repair, rather than a bandage around the rather large silencer,

Cheers,
Bill.

Jon, if you're seriously looking at remanufacturing Acclaim exhausts, do the later type which have a bit of flex in them. Early types had the downpipe fracture because the front section was just a rigid pipe. There was a downpipe clamp fitted during production to prevent this but most Acclaims have lost their's during subsequent exahust replacements (mostly by the "fast fit" types of establishments). The entire exhausts are interchangable so a later type will fit any Acclaim.

Hi Dave,

Yup, the intention is to make a system from stainless that will fit and follow the original route, but isn't quite to original specification. So, there will be a flexible section in it, and all the joining sections will be sleeved rather than bolted flanges to keep production costs down.

• 1 month later...

Quoted from heraldcoupe

I will ultimately need a new exhaust system, something which was a problem whan I last owned an Acclaim. I've seen the thread regarding making new exhausts, but does anyone have experience of this German company?
http://www.auspuff-sets.de/as-.....mp;ac=1LWelZSj39Y%3D

Cheers,
Bill.

I'll let you know of its quality later as I've just bought one. Doesn't look a 100% fit but if it's hassle free, it's good enough.

• 2 weeks later...