LED side/brake/indicator lights

Howard

I am planning to swap the feeble side lights on the TR7 for LED's with the intent of improving the visibility, particularly from the front before the RBRR. Has anyone tried this on their car?

The TR7 & equivalent bulbs appear to be as listed below:-

Qty       Triumph Ref.             Lucas Ref.                         LED equivalent (to be confirmed)
Flashers / Stop          6         382 / 21 W              SCC BAU 15s - P21W 382   Twenty20 LED 12V P21W Bayonet Bulb £12.50 (Ea)
Tail                           2         207  / 5 W               SCC BA15s - R5W              207 Ring Premium LED 12V R5W Bayonet Bulbs (Pair) £14.99
Front                        2         GLB 989 (?)             MCC BA9s                        
Marker / No plate      3         504 / 5 W                Capless W2.1 x 9.5d - W3W 3W

Quoted from Spitfire6
You well need a 2 or 3 terminal LED flasher unit, cheap of EBay. I have a 2 terminal one and I need to add a left and right telltail light to my dash and then I can junk the front bulbs and fit LED's.

Blimey, i hadn't realised that you need a special flasher unit for LEDs! Why's that? I hadn't really thought about how they worked but I (perhaps naively) assumed that they were just some kind of on/off switch/relay that passed 12v alternating to 0v!

I have started down the LED route, but only done instrument panel and side lights so far.

Quoted from Spitfire6
Hi,
The old electro-mechanical ones work via current. The LED's will not draw enough current to allow them to cycle.
The solid-state modern ones will cycle incandescent bulbs as well if they are rated to >44 watts.

Ah - that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Good job I hadn't got to my indicators yet

Quoted from Spitfire6
Hi,
PS. you will need a hazard flasher LED unit as well unless you modify your hazard switch to work with the single flasher unit.

Iain,

Thanks - the indicator was changed to an electronic unit some years ago, but had totally forgotten about the Hazard Flasher needing to be changed as well.

Quoted from Toledo Man
Beware of using the bright white bulbs. Through coloured filters they look a bit washed out. To get round this you can either use coloured LEDs or warm white ones. I've got coloured tail/brake lights and whar white sildelights in LED on the Dolomite.

Thanks for the info on colour selection

I was supposed to put "warm white" in my post.

Be careful of ebay. There are some poor quality LED bulbs out there even from the UK suppliers. I bought a pair of sidelight LED bulbs for the Astra and they only lasted 8 months. I bought some decent quality one which are still going strong to this day. I compiled a lightbulb guide for the Dolomite on the TDC forum which was for lightbulbs in general but is useful for ordering LED bulbs.

I am thinking of getting them from http://www.superbrightleds.com - its a US supplier, but they even include Triumph cars in their options and recommendations. They also have all the technical info to back up the selection, which is better than most of the other sites.

Living in Qatar I have a US address courtesy of a courier company and there is no/minimal duty payable here so intentional shipping is not an issue. I will then bring them back to the UK with me.

Cheers

Howard

I have an original 2 pin flasher unit in mine, so If I want to upgrade to LED (and to help with towing) a modern solid state 3 pin flasher unit is needed. (two, one for indicators and one for hazards)

I seem to recall somewhere that the 3rd pin you need to put to earth........... but can anyone point me in the right direction of the correct flasher unit and which pin to earth, or is it obvious when you get it?

Thanks

Most of the usual suppliers should be able to provide them, but Robsport fitted mine as the flashers on TR7 are notorious for going very slowly due to earth problems. You are correct that the third terminal needs to be earthed

Cheers

Howard

• 2 weeks later...