mazfg

Since I had my car I was using a friends old Gunson timing light to setup. recently I bought an Accuspark H8000, as I thought it high time I bought my own. This was better as it had an inductive pickup compared to the old Gunsons inline to the spark plug connection.
With the Gunsons my car was set to 8 deg BTDC, vacuum gauge reading 18-20mmHg. When I tried with the Accuspark light...it was low 4-5 BTDC. Now not sure which is correct? I advanced timing with Accuspark to 8 deg BTDC, Vacuum gauge now gives a very good reading of 20-22mmHg and the car seem a little smoother. Took it for a ride...not pinking...so hoping the Accuspark is correct?  I guess I  need to borrow another to compare?

Ive got a manual that says set the timing so that with normal engine temp. you can accelerate at full bore in top on the flat and the pinking will end at 2000rpm. I think its a good way of doing it cos the exact setting will depend on fuel quality, engine state etc