Lights........

AlanChatterton

Daft question.

When you turn on the main beams on a Stag, should the outer headlamps go out, leaving just the inner ones on?

Mine does.............

But, being as I am used to 2000 models, these have twin filament outers, so when you put main beam on, the outer two dip up and the inner two come on giving you 4 bright (ish!) lights at the front.

On the Stag, when I put the beams on, the outers go out, leaving just 2 lamps on.

Is this right?

If not, any ideas what the issue could be?

good test, forgot to mention that - it's almost certainly a dirty or burnt contact in the stalk.  Standard Stag lighting has a single filament (H4?) bulb in each lamp, usually 55W.  

You can tell an original Stag headlamp by the fact that it is dished like a sealed beam and has the word HALOGEN in white on the front of the glass.  Outers are dip only and looking into them you will see a black shroud over the bulb, inners have a different pattern on the glass, are high beam only and have no shroud over the bulb.

Colin was suggesting upgrade the outers to twin filament units which (with a bit of rewiring) will give you dip on the outers and main on all four together.  The fitment of relays into the circuit is advisable whether you stay standard or not - this takes the load off of the switches and helps them to last longer!

I've just got a nice birthday present - a set of 4 new Cibie conversions - thanks Col!  All I have to do now is decide whether to fit to the Stag or 2.5 PI   ;D

Cheers
Mike!

Archived