Where's the hazard warning lights flasher

culp

Hello All!
I'm new here I have a MK3 GT6

In order to get it through the MOT I need to get the hazard warning lights working.

The indicators work (after a fashion one side flashes the other stays on the whole time) And I know there's a 12v feed into the hazard switch at terminal #8 on the switch.

I need to check the circuit to the hazard flasher unit but I can't for the life of me find it. I've found the indicator flashers, the horn relay, the overdrive relay and the voltage stabiliser behind the speedometer but can't find the hazard warning flasher.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Culp

Fairly sure mine is just hanging around up under the dash. Overdrive and horn relays are on the bulkhead, I think.  
I had one round and one square relay loose behind dash - 2x21W is flasher, 4x21W is hazard.  If the relay has several connections a PO may have used a combined relay (I may have made this device up!) - original only has 2 connections (in and out).
Hope that helps!
Paul.

Hello Every one and thanks for the help so far.  

I'm still no wiser....
The wiring's been really hacked about the place and there's loose wiring all over.  The old fusebox has been removed and a new one with 4 fuses of the modern spade type has been added.  All the wiring to the fuse box is in red! There is s square green relay with 4 terminals wired in at the battery box and I'm guessing its a replacement horn relay.

I can't find the hazard flasher unit at all and I'm starting to wonder if it's not there i.e. missing.  It took me hours to figure out that one circuit was dead because of a missing fuse (doh!)

What I know

The purple wire at the horn relay is definitely live, but the light green and slate wire into the switch isn't so the break is in that part of the circuit that includes the hazard flashers.

If I remove all the wires to the old horn relay the horn still works

None of the switches at the doors or rear door work (on the same purple circuit) but the switch on the dash that turns on the light does.

The brown wiring to the starter solenoid has been taken off the starter and looks to have been wired together in a big ball of sticky black electrical tape

What I think I know

It's not the switch, I swapped it for another second hand switch and the same problem occurs anyway the light green and slate wire into the switch is dead and I think it should be live.

The new green 4 pin relay is for the horn

What I don't know

Where the hazard flasher unit is!!!!! or where it should be, if it was missing.

Would pictures help?

Hazard light aren't mandatory on cars earlier than 1986, however if fitted they must be working.. Simple solution if the MoT is imminent is to remove or tape over the switch then sort them out at your leisure..

Quote:
Vehicles first used before 1 April 1986:

A hazard warning device is not required by Regulation, but, if one is fitted, it must be tested. The hazard warning lamp 'tell tale' may be a separate light or the same as the indicator 'tell-tale. However, it must be a flashing light.

If the wiring has been heavily modified, advice related to the original circuitry likely won't be of much help.

If the circuitry has been modified to use 4 fuses instead of the original 2, the changes may be so extensive to make remote advice not very useful.  On the other hand, if the additional 2 fuses or for new things like driving and fog lights, and the rest is as  original, it might not be as difficuldt.

Here ar two wiring diagrams for GT6 Mk3:
Original at the bottom of
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cookiehome/page%204.htm

A reinterpreted version at:
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/GT6MkIIIwiring.jpg

The original version shows the numbered connections on the hazard light switch, which is pretty essential information.
The LG/S wire goes to the indicator flasher, not the hazard flasher.

Howard81 wrote:
Hazard light aren't mandatory on cars earlier than 1986, however if fitted they must be working.. Simple solution if the MoT is imminent is to remove or tape over the switch then sort them out at your leisure..

Not quite my "do it right, do it once" philosophy but it might be my only choice!

Archived