Hazard warning lights not working

Freebird

With the MOT booked for the Spitfire, I'm trying to get everything in order - as you do.

The hazards do not work an I understand that if fitted, they must work for the MOT.

I have tired the "pull and push several times" trick to no avail. The light in the switch flashes if it's pulled out and the indicators are on, but only the indicators that side flash.

I can't find the hazard flasher unit either, I found the indicator flasher hanging on it's two wires which looks new.

As always any help appreciated. Does the hazard unit have 4 wires connected to it or two as in this circuilt diagram? There are 4 wires behind the dash that look like they are all joined together inside a black connector of some sort.

just check the connections on the back of the hazard switch are in the right place, obviously its getting an earth and a supply because things work, just not in the right way, could be a mismatched connection on the back.

so just to clarify, indicators work fine, when you pull the hazard switch on, they only flash on the side that the indicator is switched to ie if you have the indicators on left the hazards only work on the left and vice versa??

And to qualify, the hazards don't work with indicator in neutral??

Sounds like the hazard flasher unit may be gubbed, and the reason the indicator works is because it is turned on, nothing to do with the hazards!! If the hazard switch is flashing I would suspect it is being powered by the indicator.

So yeah, new flasher unit wanted I reckon.

5285 wrote:
just check the connections on the back of the hazard switch are in the right place, obviously its getting an earth and a supply because things work, just not in the right way, could be a mismatched connection on the back.

so just to clarify, indicators work fine, when you pull the hazard switch on, they only flash on the side that the indicator is switched to ie if you have the indicators on left the hazards only work on the left and vice versa??

There is a multipin pug on the back of the hazard switch connected to the loom so it's hard to see where all the wires go from there bit all seems well I think. Just no sign of a flasher unit for it. I have ordered one from Canley to fit at the weekend assuming I can find the wires to connect it to  :-/ So hard lying on your back with your face stuffed under the dash at my tender age

Your clarification is spot on. If the hazard knob is pulled out, the red hazard bulb flashes. If it's pushed in, the green indicator one flashes (as normal)

thebrookster wrote:
And to qualify, the hazards don't work with indicator in neutral??

Sounds like the hazard flasher unit may be gubbed, and the reason the indicator works is because it is turned on, nothing to do with the hazards!! If the hazard switch is flashing I would suspect it is being powered by the indicator.

So yeah, new flasher unit wanted I reckon.

Correct, nothing does anything with the hazard knob out but the indicator stalk in neutral.

Gubbed or missing! New flasher unit on it's way.

Fixed it.

The hazard flasher unit was in fact missing plus the green/pink wire to it had been cut back to within 10mm of the loom - no idea why but it made it fun extending it - NOT!

So everything electrical now works - result  :)

Archived