Have a little problem with driving light wiring.
Have wired through a relay a set of driving lights:- fused supply from battery, through relay to lights, relay triggered by wire from main beam warning light. Should work OK. All seems to be wired to correct terminals on relay
Problem is the driving lights come on when main beam is applied as they should, however when switching back to dipped, main beam on headlights dip, but driving lights stay on. If the wire from main beam warning light is dissconnected driving lights go out. I thought faulty relay, so tried another, same problem.
I wonder if the Pectron unit holds some current in the main beam circuit which stops relay dropping out?
Any thoughts

You should trigger relay feeding main beam from main beam switch output and not the main beam warning light. The main beam warning light will not necessarily go between 0v and 12v as a switched output would.

What is happening is:
when you switch main beam on main beam warning light comes on sending xvolts to relay switching driving lights on

when you switch main beam off main beam warning light goes out but wire feeding relay is sending yvolts to relay and this must be sufficient to keep relay triggered.

I would suggest feeding relay from switch output itself. This is the correct way to wire the relay.

I hope that explains what is happening and what you should do resolve it.

Regards, Neil

I would agree use the the 12v O/P from the switch to trigger the driving light relay-the voltage for the indication lamp could be floating around

just as anside you havent managed to create a "latch" with a back feed from something commond  onto the indication lamp feed?

I also switched the driving lights relay but from the wire going from switch to warning light, still works fine after 12 years.
Check all connectors in the lights circuit, make sure they are clean. Especially those at the front.

Thanks, I used the main beam warning light wire as I knew Beans had suggested this in another thread. I swapped it around tonight and used wire from beam/dip switch (Blue/White for LH side) same results. I did notice tht if I tap the relay it will switch out, so must be holding minimal volts to hold it triggered.
I will have a go at cleaning all the terminals tommorow.
AJP Cant see a "latch" from indicator circuit from the wiring diagrams.

DNK wrote:
What I've always wanted to do was use them as day running lights and have them go off if the lights come on but come back on for the main beam too. Any ideas how I wire that?
Don

Should be possible with a couple of relays-I take it  you mean a pair of spot light style extra driving light thingys on all day then go off on dip,but back on on main? I could draw you a circiut diagram in relay logic if needed

I have been playing this afternoon, cleaned all contacts, same result.
Moved relay trigger wire from under dash to front area, same result.
Had a good look at wiring diagram, and notice there is a link to the Pectron Unit from main beam wires.
For those who dont know the Pectron unit tells the headlamp motor to raise the light pods under certain conditions,
The logic is:-
If dip beam is on raise the light pods.
If dip beam is off and main beam is flashed raise, wait, then lower the light pods.
If nothing is on lower.
So this may hold some energy keeping the relay triggered.
Doesnt explain how Beans driving lights have worked OK when wired to main beam.
The relays I have are cheap and nasty so I will try to obtain a decent one to see if this mmakes a difference.

If I wire the driving lights to a switch is this legal MOT wise?

Quote:
If I wire the driving lights to a switch is this legal MOT wise?

Not at all sure I am afraid.

I would have thought you would need a warning light at least  :-/

Mine are wired with a switch but power is supplied only when the headlamps are on main beam anyway

Rust_Restorer wrote:
...Doesnt explain how Beans driving lights have worked OK when wired to main beam...

Sorry, looks like I haven't been clear enough  :B
My driving lights relay is triggered by the current going to the "beam" WARNING LIGHT when they are switched on.
So it gets its current directly from the switch.

Archived