Dim Instrument lights

BAC

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search but nothing came up.

Are Vitesse instrument lights really that dim? All of the bulbs are working, they don't seem blackened but all the instruments are really quite hard to see at night. Is this normal for these cars? Maybe I'm too used to the luxury of modern cars.

Is there anything I can do to brighten them up?

Cheers!

Yes Wim did this in his thread on the spitfire section.
He converted to led bulbs. (I presume they are the same bulbs as a spit?

Edit: found his thread, it was in technical

[Sorry, link no longer available]

But I'm sure I have seen one somewhere on here where someone has taken apart the old style lamp and fitted the new led lamp into the original holder, thought it was that one from Wim, but it's not.

4058 wrote:
Yes Wim did this in his thread on the spitfire section.
He converted to led bulbs. (I presume they are the same bulbs as a spit?

Edit: found his thread, it was in technical

[Sorry, link no longer available]

But I'm sure I have seen one somewhere on here where someone has taken apart the old style lamp and fitted the new led lamp into the original holder, thought it was that one from Wim, but it's not.

I did an article in the CT mag relating changing the bulb holder to a modern plastic type that takes a higher wattage cap-less bulb, which greatly helped with brightness in the night time rallies

Thanks for your help with this. Maybe I'll whip out the gauges and give everything a good clean and change the bulbs anyway.

The indicator tell tale between the two main gauges is bad too. A couple of times during the day I've left the indicator on as I didn't notice the pathetic green light trying to flash at me as a reminder!

Cheers
Brian

Thanks for your help with this. Maybe I'll whip out the gauges and give everything a good clean and change the bulbs anyway.

The indicator tell tale between the two main gauges is bad too. A couple of times during the day I've left the indicator on as I didn't notice the pathetic green light trying to flash at me as a reminder!

Cheers
Brian