Are reversing lights an MOT requirement?

Freebird

Hi

The reversing lights on the Spit do not work, I've got the MOT booked for the 7th April so I'm sure they will by then as I know the cause, but just in case - is it a failure without them?

The wire from the switch on the gearbox is severed right by the bulkhead and in trying to solder it back together I pulled the loom off the switch. So I need to remove the tunnel cover et all to get to it and as I had a real struggle getting the brace back in just last week & don't fancy the job again so soon. I know what you are all thinking and I wish I had checked they worked before installing the interor too  :'(

Glen.

Good, I fixed them today anyway. The brace went in very easily this time.

Now the hazard warning lights are my next task - these I believe do have to work. As far as I can see there is no flasher unit. I will put a post in the GT6/Spitfire forum.

Glen.

There is a separate flasher for the hazards, somwhere just below the steering column and right a bit, around the top edge of the drivers glovebox.
Usually it is the switch that plays up, soak it in electrical cleaner and keep switching it on/off should revive it.
Otherwise I probably have a switch here (untested), certainly have a couple of electronic flasher units that I bought for my car, but I won't be needing them for a while :-/

Archived