I need some new tyres and looking for recommendations.
It is not easy finding tyres in the size I need 165/80 R15 T (S would do but a little slow). The ones that I have been offered are:
Jupiter SB 802
Toyo 330
Kumho 758
Firestone F560
Michelin XZX

Toyo have a bad write up,
Firestone, a friend had these on his TR4 and changed them after having a bad experience in the wet.
Michelin are very expensive (over £100) but they do last a long time.
So what about Kumho? Anybody got these on his car?

Cheers
AndyF

so I ordered the tyres last Saturday and they were there today but....
Kuhmo only make tubeless tyres and they are ribbed on the inside in otherwords no good if you are using tubes.
As the rims I am using will not take tubeless I will have to find another tyre designed for tubes.
Anybody got any ideas?
I have been told Vredestein are good and they can be run with tubes but apparently there are not many dealers here in teh UK.

The story continues  :)

Cheers
Andy

Thanks Nigel, that is why I turned down the Kumho tyres this afternoon.
Afterwards I spoke to Vintage Tyres and they made me a great offer for 4 Michelin XZX plus tubes with free delivery. Now Michelin are a little hard and you have to be careful in the wet but they last for ages.

Cheers
AndyF

[quote by=AndyF link=Blah.pl?b=tr26,m=1153817918,s=3 date=1154441035]  ...I have been told Vredestein are good and they can be run with tubes but apparently there are not many dealers here in teh UK ... :)[/quote]

Looks like you'll have to visit the Netherlands more often  ;)

website is polish...  :o

Anyway......... Andy,  I have "connections" in the tyre business. Give me a shout if you want those Vredesteins. Quite sure I can get them for a fair price! (also fitted if you like)

EDIT: **Vredestein also does that size in a "modern" profile.  Much cheaper! ** 

A couple of years ago I could not keep up with a guy using Colways on his TR3 at Castle Combe and I won a set from Triumph world magazine & I found that they lasted well and gripped well in both wet and dry on my Dolly Sprint.
Anything that lasts a long time aint much cop why spoil your driving fun?

Thanks everybody for the help and especially your offer Roger, but I don't have enough tread on the front tyres to get me to The Netherlands, perhaps next time.
I have taken the Michelin this time round. I always used to put on Michelin and found them good.
I am not too bothered about a "grippy" tyre as I want something that will last a year or two and with an estimated 13 000 miles this year the Michelin should last 3 to 4 years.

Cheers
AndyF

Archived