fitting new wings

Matt306

The new 13/60 wings aren't fully finished and need to have the front flanges folded back.
Other anomalies include the lack of step in the rear vertical reinforcement. If left unmodified, the wing will be made flush with the side of the bonnet top, where it should in fact step outwards by about 1/4". Many of us take out the new reinforcement and re-use the one salvaged from the old wing,

Cheers,
Bill.

Quoted from Rarebits
The new 13/60 wings aren't fully finished and need to have the front flanges folded back.
Other anomalies include the lack of step in the rear vertical reinforcement. If left unmodified, the wing will be made flush with the side of the bonnet top, where it should in fact step outwards by about 1/4". Many of us take out the new reinforcement and re-use the one salvaged from the old wing,

Cheers,
Bill.

They are 13/60 wings... I think i might have cut the reinforcements removing the old wings.  Thought they might have to fold the flange back is it easy to do with hammer and dolly, or is another method better?

Any other anomalies as all i have original are the inner wheel arches and top panel!

Quoted from pigboy306
They are 13/60 wings... I think i might have cut the reinforcements removing the old wings.  Thought they might have to fold the flange back is it easy to do with hammer and dolly, or is another method better?

I fold the flange back to roughly flat using pliers/grips, then dress it properly flat with hammer & dolly. Once it's smoothed out, draw a line where the flange should be and form a new fold in the correct direction. If possible, it's good to clamp between tow straight edges to form a clean angle, not so easily done with large panel though

Quoted Text
Any other anomalies as all i have original are the inner wheel arches and top panel!

No front panel? I always work on one side at a time so you always the opposite as reference. Without this option I'd recommend trying to get access to a good original bonnet to measure and photograph. It's very easy to end up with a bonnet that's too wide, so it overhangs the front valance on either side.

Cheers,
Bill.

I fitted new wings and front panel and they are much thinner than the originals which means they can dent and deform easily, l too reused the reinforcement and it took a while to get them to fit nicely, had to use quite a bit of filler because they easily deform due to heat from puddle welding, l have also found they twist near the bonnet catch because they are so thin

I have only fitted the genuine wings, once to a 948 and once to a Vitesse.  I imagine that the same rules apply to the 13/60 as to the Vitesse.  Not fitted the reproduction front wings but have fitted a repro rear lower wing to a Vitesse and that was a game and a half, the bloody thing was too long!

M.

For all the little niggles, the current 13/60 front wings can be fitted and made to look very good. The repro 1200 wings are another matter, being modified from the 13/60 pressings with a handmade section let-in at the front.

Fitting even Stanpart rear wings can be a nightmare, the original shell is so often deformed that a perfectly made wing will no longer fit where it should,

Cheers,
Bill.