Goody

Where is the best place to get new seat covers for my Dolly?  1972 1850HL, tan in color with rear center arm rest and map pocket on the back of ft seats.  Anyone know a good shop to install near Bishops Stortford?   DollyRoo's are a bit tacky and spliting at the seams.  

Bill,

Dolomite seat covers are a bit of an issue, I don't think anyone makes any so you either have to have the seats re-trimmed by a car trimmer in a similar but not identical cloth or look for a good 2nd hand set.

One Dolly I looked at before I bought mine had wear and splits on the seats and although it was a good car mechanically it was one of the things that put me off buying because I already knew that availability of covers was an issue.....

My new Dolly has nice seats apart from some deterioration at the top of the rear seat back, apparently this is a common issue caused by sunlight. The previous owner has stitched a bit of cloth over the top which I'm not totally happy with. I think I'm going to get a trimmer to put a vinyl section in a brown to match the door cards along the top 4 inches of so  of the rear seat back, although it won't fool any Dolomite Anoraks it will provide a fix that will look like it was supposed to be there to the untrained eye.

Thanks Mark:  Please PM me with the contact info.  Andy, my Dolly had the same issue with the top of the rear seat.  Carl put a blanket over the entire seat back that looked OK.  Could not use the rear arm rest though.  Since my car is far form original I am after something that looks good and will match the car.  I would like to stay as close to original as I can.  

Bill,

It will be interesting to see if they can replicate the original, Carl who as you know is a Dolly Club official reckoned that the original nylon material is not available so the best a trimmer can do is find something vaguely similar. I've certainly seen a few Dolly's that have been re-trimmed with a different nylon facing, just depends if you are a stickler for originality or not.

Andy: If you see or talk to Carl ask him if he knows anyone.  I had thought of doing the same as you but never got around to it.  Using my car in September is when I noticed the poor condition of the front seats.  Little tears and seem splits.  I like the idea of yours just trimming the top of the rear and it should look nice.  My problem is the front seats need to be redone.  Just normal wear and age.  I just want something that looks good.  I would only go cloth as I don't like vinel, nagahide  or leather.   Do you know how many little poor nagas have to give up their lives to make nagahide?  By the way it's looks good the wife and I will make the IOW this coming year.  Will share a caravan with Chris and Linda Allen.  Like to get a pic of our cars together.  

Sure Bill, I'll sound out Carl when I next see him. Also it may be worth you putting a post up on the Triumph Dolomite Forum, ( http://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk )you don't have to be a Triumph Dolomite Club member to join and post on the forum. It may be that someone on there has a pair of front seats or knows of a car being broken for spares that has a set. I've started using it myself but haven't joined the club as yet although I may do at some point in the future as they have some good spares that are only available to club members (eg stainless exhausts much cheaper than anyone else, body panels that are only available through the club etc).

I am expecting to use the Dolomite for the IOW this year with the Kids so yes would be good to get a picture of it with Dolly Roo....

• 2 weeks later...