Rick60

Hi,

New to the forum but long time GT6 owner.

I wondered what the deal is with GT6 tailgates. I know some panels (bonnets, wings, sills etc) can be purchased new but is there any news out there regarding GT6 tailgates? Is it a question of no tooling, no demand? Just too expensive?!

Regards,

Richard.

Rocking horse manure.

The tailgate is constructed from a number (not sure what number but it's more than two) of fairly complex pressings, for which none of the tooling survived. They would be expensive to remanufacture and there's not enough demand.

Which is a shame, because my "good second hand" tailgate that was fitted 17 years ago to replace the rusty one... is beginning to show signs of rust.

Hi Rob,

I guessed that might be the case.

Mine is now leaving little piles of orange dust on the boot carpet so time to get serious with a sheet of steel and an English Wheel I think.

The outer skin shouldn't be too troubling but the inner shell could be tricky. I may just locally repair that where required.

Anyway, thanks for the update.

Regards,

You might strike lucky and find one somewhere a decent secondhand item somewhere.

Try Fitchetts/Canleys etc??

Otherwise localised repairs. When done, drill a hole towards the corner of the inside panel, both sides and fill with waxoil or similar product. Might be an idea to leave the hole unplugged...condensation etc.

• 2 weeks later...