electrics argh!!

Alex

I've put my engine in and now managed to do up the torque converter.I've fitted my starter and thought I'd make sure its engaging(its not ).My biggest problem is my electrics appear to be dead,I've got 12v at the battery and at the starter and I can arc the starter (thats how I know its not engaging).Other than that I have no electrics at all not even hazard lights!Anyone got any ideas what I'm missing?
I'm fed up!!

Hi Alex,

Not sure what you have tried, but I would check the battery charge (try connecting a booster?) and terminals first. 12V could disappear if the battery is really low or contact is poor. Consider exactly what you have disturbed during the engine change (engine earthing? multiplug connector?). Also examine and clean the fuses. Do you have working sidelights?

This will turn out to be something easy.

A good engineering tip is to walk away and drink tea. The alternative usually leads to the *large hammer*. Do not go there. Going to sleep and waiting for daylight can also work, but is slower than the tea.

Good Luck.

Ah. A box of bits.

This might require more than tea. Beer is good.

(I did have a quick look a your posts to see where you started...Obviously a bit too quick.)

Could you give a quick rundown of what you have done? Has the loom been out / cut etc. Did it ever work?

Perhaps this may not be quite so easy. I would definitely be checking that battery and the battery + engine earths first though.

cheers, Steve

Are you getting 12v at the ignition switch?  Try your meter on the thick brown cable.

If not, trace the wire and check continuity - it starts with the eyelet connected to the starter solenoid and goes through the bulkhead just below the steering column as part of a loom.  This goes to a white junction box which you can access inside of the car beside the clutch pedal - the big lucar connector might just be mucky.  From there the wire goes to the back of the ignition switch.

If it's getting power but still no dash lights etc, it could be the ignition switch is duff?  In this case try hotwiring the ignition switch.

Have you got all of the connections done up on the starter? The rest of the car is powered off the back of the starter motor.

The main feed from the battery comes to the starter solenoid and is connected under that brass 1/2 inch nut. With that should be about 4 or 5 other ring connectors which go onto the same pole. These feed EVERYTHING in the car, and if you have only connected one lead from battery to starter, that'll be the problem!

That's right - one brown to the ignition switch, the other to the alternator.  White wire with red stripe comes from ignition sw and operates the starter.  The other wire goes to the ballast resistor and gives 12v to the coil only when cranking.  That's all you need there.

I would start looking at the ignition switch first.

Take of the black plastic covers (2 screws underneath hold the top on, one screw underneath hold the bottom to the column.

You can now see the ignition switch. Start testing with a multimeter or a test lamp. One of the big wires should be permanently live. If so, then ok, you have power from the starter to the switch. Then turn the igntion on and the other large wire sholuld now go live. If not, dodgy switch.

If no power on the first wire, then there is a break in the wire between the starter and the ignition (or the ring connector on the starter has a poor connetion, re-solder)

If you have power at the switch with ignition on, then suspect the fuse box.

Quick check, do you headlights work? If so, then the main circuit is fine as the headlights do not run through either the ignition switch or the fuse box?

Is the earth strap from the neg side of the battery to the engine and body connected and connected properly?

Check these out, and get back to us............gotta be a simple explaination!

Where are you Alex, if Midlands ish I might be able to help........

Hi Alex,

Hope you have some progress today.

Alan's point about the -ve connection from the battery is a good one. You can use a 12V bulb and some wire to check here. First connect directly to the battery +ve and -ve. Should be lit up! Then try between the +ve terminal and studs on top of the strut. The bulb should be just as bright. Then try between the +ve and the engine.

You can use a meter to measure resistance or continuity, but they can be misleading due to the tiny voltages they apply.

cheers, Steve

Not had a chance to take another look yet but in answer to a couple of questions.
No Alan I have no lights at all as for the earth on the engine if I'm a bit clumsy with my ratchet when touching the starter contacts and I make contact with the block I get a big spark would this mean its earted properly(its bolted to the back plate with the bell housing)?
Thanks

Alex,

If you have nothing (not even headlamps) then the problem must be down at the starter motor, or the wiring coming from the starter motor up to the fuse box and/or ignition switch.

Get a circuit tester out and start checking what you have at the fuse box and the ignition switch.

Double check the security of those big brown wires on the starter motor, try check with test lamp on the actual connections, make sure you are getting something out of the starter motor pole.

What have you actually done to the car since it last ran? I know you've had the engine out, but tell us the story and something might click!

Bit vague Alan to tell the truth, All I know is what the previous owner told me.
The rings went on the old engine so as he had a spare engine he sent that of to be reconditioned,a mechanic then removed the old broken engine and was supposed to fit the new one but that never happened it just sat for a few years, engine in the workshop car outside under a tarp.Now this mechanics being evicted (sort of).P/O then put an advert hear for a free 2000 I put my hand up went and had a look and bit his hand off.Its had loads of money spent but I think he ran out of enthusiasm to be honest.
Thats what leaves me hear on a steep learning curve no idea how it came out or whats been done in the process.

Archived