electrics argh!!

Alex

The ignition switch and starter solenoid feed (white with red stripe) aren't fused so these shouldn't matter.

I've seen a couple of 2000s that were similarly dead.  It proved to be dodgy contacts inside the ignition switch, all green and mucky.

Quick test by hotwire (5 mins):  take the battery negative terminal off.  At the back of the ignition switch link the thick brown and thick white cables with a short bit of reasonably stout flex.  Connect a second bit of flex approx 4" long to the terminal that the white cable is attached to.  This has just a short bit of copper exposed at the other end.

Reconnect the battery and you should have ignition lights (if the switch is the prob).  Touch the dangling flex on the terminal with the white wire with red stripe and the starter motor should crank.

I don't recommend driving it like this!

Check the multi plugs by the steering column too, they pull apart quite easily and may well be corroded (or even already disconnected?)  Lights, ingition , everything goes through these.  Remove the column shroud and parcel shelf under the dash for better access.

Tip, disconnect the battery while you are removing the steering column shroud.  It's easy to get sparks off the light switch otherwise!!

My efforts to dismantle my mk2 starter solenoid went badly.  I don't think they are meant to be taken apart, but with a bit of patience and a soldering iron, I suppose it would be possible.

I'm confused though, am I correct to think that by connecting the brown cables to the battery +ve lead you are getting all the electrics to work?  If so, connecting all of these cables together on the top terminal post of the starter solenoid should have the same effect.

When you turn the ignition key, the starter solenoid is energised which moves the starter pinion into mesh, and also moves a big copper plate in the solenoid.  This links the top and bottom starter terminals for as long as the solenoid is energised, supplying power to the motor through the short cable which comes off the bottom terminal and disappears into the motor.

I suppose that the contacts in the solenoid could be faulty, shorting out perhaps?

Sounds like the solenoid is buggered and shorting out internally.

If when you connect all the wires together off the solenoid it works, and connected to the solenoid it don't, sounds like the culprit.

Change the starter motor complete assembly.

They are pretty easy to get hold off, I've got several so someone else near you must have one.

Where are you?

With all the wiring loom ring terminals & the Battery +VE on the same terminal; the lights should work without the ignition switch.

Either there is corrosion or a short if it works off the starter, but not on the starter.

If there is a short it's probably the solenoid but you would also get heat & smoke. Try joining all the wires on the top stud of the solenoid without the starter being connected to the engine. If there is a short with the starter loose the current will have nowahere to go and the lights should work.

Well seems like we've cracked it thanks everyone.
I removed the starter ,cleaned the contacts and then thought I'd look back at past posts regarding starters and there was my answer.A picture posted by the one and only sorbs of his starter it was wired differently to my own so I changed my connections and it turned over.I was separating the black from the two browns.
Thanks for all youre help!!

Archived