electrical nightmare

Mike Evans

hoping someone can help
1973 spitfire mk4
original harness

we have got no power at the ignition switch, does the live com e direct from the solenoiid to the switch or is the haynes diagram wrong, ive spent a couple of hours on this now and short of removing the dash to check the full loom i dont know where to go
cheers in advance mike

As standard the brown wires to the switch are permanent lives, worth checking with a test lamp or muiltimeter to make sure they are live, otherwise you could have a broken wire or a dodgy hack about by a PO. It could be as simple as the switch being wired up wrong, if you need to I could take a note of the way mines wired ('72 Spit IV)

Cheers
Tim

should go from the solenoid, through the balast resistor and then to the switch, without starting the car, disconnect the balast resisitor and join the two wires, test to see if you have voltage at pin 3 on the ignition switch, if so, reconnect the wires on the balast resistor, then re check for voltage, if no voltage is found then replace your balast resistor.

alex

thanks for all te help, ive just sussed it out, the po had marked all the wires up for the solenoid, we just connected the wires as marked, the po had the starter and main live feed wire marked the round the wrong way, nice easy fix for a change, hoping to be mobile in the next few weeks with the spit if all goes to plan going for a start up today

Hello Alex,

"should go from the solenoid, through the balast resistor and then to the switch"

I think you have got that mixed up, the main power goes directly to the ignition switch, the ignition feed to the coil goes via the ballast resistor.

Alec

Archived