my_elbow

After a day spent changing the PAS rack bushings, i've been greeted with a flat battery! Got a jump start and had a drive, to find out my brake lights (parkers are ok, just pedal brake lights) are both out, and a flat battery every morning. I rigged up the multi-meter and pulled the offending fuse that was taking all my power, but checking against my pair of manuals gives little to no description as to which fuse powers what!

I've included a picture of the offending circuit which has had its fuse pulled. ( a note that the car has been fitted with air-con at some point in its mysterious past)

Thoughts on where to start to stop the battery drain?

Hello My Elbow,

you look to only have two circuits off that fuse, either interior lights\glove box light (if you have one)\boot light  (ditto) or horns and headlight flasher and possibly a cigar lighter.

I'd go for either a glovebox light or a boot light. If they are not obviously the cause, I'd split the two circuits (cut the crimp off) then with a fuse back in, put a multimeter on thye amps range between the fuse and the purple wires in turn and see which is drawing the current. Reconnect the wire that is not drawing the current and see what is now not working, that's the circuit(s) you need to investigate.

Alec

I like number 2 fuse, fuse block jaws a bit slack perhaps?! You say the empty fuse is the culprit? Are there 3 purple wires?

If it's like other Triumphs purple goes to, main beam dip switch, horn relay + hazard flasher unit and interior light + ignition key light.

Having said that the other fuse's look a bit modified so who knows what else has been tacked on! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a rare working dash clock the drain is negligible. Take off earth terminal and put a voltmeter between battery and earth. If you pull fuses one by one you should be able to narrow where the volts are going.
Tony.

Still no luck on the drain, and measuring it at .02 milliamp now, which is barley anything! No glovebox light (only found out it should have one since reading this thread!) and the clock is of course not working.

My brake lights are still out though - using the foot pedal gets nowhere! Checked the switch which is fine, but it doesn't seem to be getting any current. Is there a fuse hiding in the loom ?

Hello My elbow,

that amount of drain is minuscule, possibly within bounds of meter error? Certainly would not drain your battery even if left for a month.

The stop switch is fed from the ignition fed fuse (green wire) and then goes on to feed the voltage stabiliser and the tachometer, so if those are working you should have power at the switch. Check the cleanliness of the spade connector (and that the ignition is on?)?

Alec