mk2 PI Battery Info

mikeyb

I need a new battery for the PI - currently got Colin's tractor battery in her - too big and he wants it back! 

What's the standard model number of battery fitted and given the space available, has anyone fitted a higher powered replacement?

Rgds

Mike!

i suspect the original would have been a 57amp/hr 9 plate, so take the physical measurements to your supplier or your old battery as a pattern and see what they have, no doubt the modern battery will pack more punch for the same size
regards,    bryan

thank you, but what I was actually after is the generic battery model code as labelled on the case of most batts somewhere!  It will be three digits - something like 075 or 069.  I know the codes for Dollies, Spitfires and Range Rovers but have never had saloons until recently.

Gertie has an 031 which would seem to be a 70amp/hr, but I don't know if that's the correct spec.    Interesting that the original  Mk1 batt was only 57amp/hr, perhaps the 70amp/hr one is what I need!

The PI has a standard starter so I want to get as powerful one as I can!

Owning a few PI's, I'd say find the most powerful one that will fit. Batteries have got more compact but you want at least 400 AH for cranking.

Personally on a PI, I go for really sorting the electrics.

New heavy duty battery leads with soldered terminals (live & earth)
A relay to switch a good electrical feed to the pump (rather than having the pump fed through the ignition switch).
On the Spitfire I then added a Nippon Denzo.

Sorry if I've thread drifted. But it's a real strain on the system starting a PI; Hi compression cranking, fuel injection pump and electric ignition.

Thank you Richard - you haven't thread drifted at all - You have confirmed my suspicions and highlighted the very reason why I hadn't just gone out and bought a cheap, standard battery.

You've raised some simple, valid and important points here.  Whilst I want to avoid going down the hi-torque route if I can get away with it, the other options are definitely worth looking at.

Did you put the hi-torque on the Spit because you couldn't fit a 400Ah batt in the batt box?

400Ah is also considerably higher than I would have realised! 

Regarding the relay/pump circuits, did you leave the bump cut out switch in the main power line or did you convert it to the relay switching supply line?  I would think that is a potential voltage dropper?

[quote by=MikeyB link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1168246903,s=0 date=1168246903]I need a new battery for the PI - currently got Colin's tractor battery in her - too big and he wants it back! 

[/quote]

It might be big, but you could start a tractor with it!!!

Get another 031, or one of the Vectra batteries (or terminally inverted versions) 075 or 065 I think.

Cheers

Colin

The Spitfire got the hi-Torque starter as the PI Pre-Engaged Lucas starter would not fit with the 6-3-1 (Mike the Pipe - GTVEO prototype) and the GT6 starter would just burn out.

The inertia switch switches the relay, not in line with the main feed, as you say you get a voltage drop across this switch. I ran a new cable to the boot on the PI saloon, not sure if that was needed, as the gauge is quite heavy on the original.

For the Nippon-Denzo conversion it is not too expensive if you shop around, I bought a starter off of eBay and Canley Classics does a reasonable priced conversion kit. I think it set me back about £75 in total.

For some reason people look suprised when I say 'I solder my battery lead terminals with a blow torch'.  :)  Still we all have our quirks.

Most auto-electrical suppliers can provide HD battery cable.

Most of mine have  dis-car-nects fitted too.  I persuaded them to advertise in the club mag when I was on the committee of CTE about 15 years ago and we bought a load through the club at a hefty discount!  I have some quick release ones stashed somewhere too (from the same people) but I havn't seen em since I bought em years ago - probably up the loft somewhere!

I wouldn't be without a means of fast emergency battery disconnection - if your wiring loom's going up in smoke, then you don't wanna be in the boot looking for a spanner!

Battery homework so far:- 

Model    Ahr/Cold Cranking Amps

031      70/540 - wrong pin config
065      55/450 - wrong pin config
069      68/505 - correct pin config
071      52/390 - correct pin config
072      70/550 - correct pin config
075      60/525 - wrong pin config
096      72/675 - wrong pin config

There's no significant diff in price between any of them, so look like I need an 096 with the pins reversed ideally!

If not, then an 072 looks to be then next best bet -  Diesel Discovery.

Thanks to all of you for your input,

Rgds

Mike!

Archived