Rich Sharp

Hi everyone,
                  i'm in need of some advice, i have an M.O.T booked on Monday and guess what ? The old girl has decided to throw a fit !
Essentially the horn won't work and when you flash the headlights nothing happens. Also when you switch on the headlights the nearside headlight glows incredibly dim !
Is this an Earthing issue  and are any of the problems connected ?
Your advice is really appreciated
Rich

Probably an earthing issue on the headlamps and a fuse on the headlamp flasher.  If you have the original steering wheel then it could be the horn "pencil" located under the horn push that has failed, not uncommon.

Love those 5.5J Dunlop "hubcap" steel rims by the way.  They suit Heralds, Vitesses and roundtail Spitfires & GT6's more than any other wheel that I've ever seen!

Mark

Just rewiring my Vitesse project now so I can answer those questions. The flasher unit doesn't have  a separate fuse but it should be fed directly from the 35amp fuse at the fuse box via a green wire, if it's original. Flasher units are quite fragile, mine would work one side of indicators but not the other, I had to get a new unit.

The headlight earthing points should be at the body where the battery earthing strap is connected and then fed through the loom to the junctions at the mass of wires located directly behind the front edge of the bonnet and above the radiator with the bonnet closed. I've found these to be very unreliable even on my restored body work so I have created my own earthing points. You can easily check that the earth from the headlamp connector is good by putting a meter on it switched to circuit test, connect the other end of the meter to the earth wire at the junction behind the bonnet (black wires), if it's good you should get a reading. But that will only test the connection from the light to that connection. If that's good then run a short wire from it to any good earth and see if your lights work then.

Archived