Strange wiring connector

JohnD

I have a Brian James trailer, and I've bought a replacement rubber rear light stalk for it - I knocked the old one off falling over it.

The light unit comes ready wired, and the end of the wire is sealed with a plastic cap, obvious;y permanent.  Strange.
Then I dismantle the rear light cluster, and find this - see pic.    The lead to the light stalk is spliced to the lead to the rear lamp by a connector that looks like a sophisticated version of a Scotchlok, those inventions of the Beelzebub.  It's about 2cms long by 1cm square, and made of black and blue plastic, if that helps.

I've never seen one of these before, nor can I find it on t'Net.   I need to know how to split it apart and rejoin without damage, and what they are called in case I do damage it.   Can anyone help, please?

I'd call Brian James, but of course it's saturday PM and they're closed. I'd like to get this done this weekend.

Thanks!
John

Take a look around the outside of the connector for the edge of the outer wrap around of the connector and wriggle a small blade under it when if you are gentle, you should be able to spring it up .
If you then try to gently separate the body of the connector along its centre line then you should finally be left with the slotted metal connection straddling both cables .
Remove it and sling away - dreadful bodged things.

Thanks, guys!
Some careful levering with small screwdriver got the appropriate blue cover off, which revealed spikes to penetrate the insulation, as expected. The cover went back with the new lead in place and all is snug, so no need for a new connector.

This item is part of a system. The new light came, as I mentioned, with lead attached, and the end of the lead sealed, permanently, with a plastic cap. No bare conductors to solder or jon, without cutting that off and slitting back the insulation. I respect Brian James Trailers as a good, quality manufacturer. No doubt this system can speed the wiring of trailers on the production line,but without the reliability problems that using Scotchloks would do.

And sure enough, further research finds this site from another Trailer parts supplier, selling items from the "Aspock system":
http://uk-trailer-pa...plug-in-systems
The connector in question appears as the "Aspock DC Connector", six pics down.
Note the sealed ends on the leads, and that the connector has "small silicon seals around the pins keep the connection water tight" a feature signally absent on the execrable Scotchloks!

And here is the Onlie Begetter of this system, Aspöck Systems GBMH!
http://www.aspoeck.c...V_Catalogue.pdf
Page 6 shows the connector as a fundamental part of that system, and the special tool used to compress and complete the connection. I improvised with a Mole Wrench!
John