Electronic ignition vs ballast coil

TR7th Heaven

Hi,

I'm just about to upgrade the car to electronic ignition. I intend using Accuspark as I've had their units on several cars before with no issues. I have a Delco dizzy.

Anyway, I will also upgrade the coil to a sports type coil but at the moment, I have a standard type coil with a ballast resistor.

My question is, can I fit a non-ballast type coil by just removing the ballast resistor?

If so, is there anything about the wiring I should be careful of?

Any help, as always much appreciated

Richard

That's interesting Danny. So I could keep my existing coil and ballast resistor?

I assumed I'd have to upgrade to a sports coil to take advantage of having electronic ignition and potentially a stronger spark.

Accuspark do a sports coil suitable for use with a ballast resistor, so I could replace the coil like for like and retain my existing ballast set up.

Maybe that's the way to go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to keep the ballast resistor so ordered an Accuspark 'ballast type' sports coil.

Will now be fitting the coil, electronic ignition, Accuspark silicone plug leads, red rotor arm and distributor cap to my 'stripped, cleaned and re-painted' Delco distributor. My plugs are NGK and are pretty new so will remain.

Cost was very reasonable at £67 delivered for everything.

Let's see how she runs after all that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am really interested as to how the Accuspark  ignition system worked out. I was going to start a thread to inquire if anyone had gone this route, but saw this thread. Was looking at the Accuspark, but because it is so cheap, was concerned about the old adage - If it looks too good.....

I had a quality Magnetronic electronic system on Woodie (fitted when I bought the car)  Worked OK for about 7000 miles then for no reason went t*ts up at a most awkward time - towing our caravan on a motorway.

Replaced it with a non ballast resistor coil system simply by changing to a sports coil and leaving out the ballast resistor and everything works fine - as well as it did with the electronic system.

Important point is to make sure that you use QUALITY points, capacitor and any other bits in the changeover such as stuff from Distributor Doctor or Chris Witor etc.  Not cheepo rubbish because that is where most of the problems with an ignition systems comes from. 

I always have a laff when someone boasts that they succeeded in buying something at a cheep bargain price because they are setting themselves up for future problems.

MUT

Accusparks work fine as long as your car is negative earth. they have a positive earth version but as it relies on shielding the components from normal earth and running a wire instead it can be a bit more "unstable". 

I am about to install one on the spit for the 10CR, I have one on the SX and once converted to negative earth and buying the correct set it has been working fine. The old positive earth system was as said a bit challenging to keep running. 

Dirk