Ignition Switch.

nang

Just changed the steering column on my Mk 4 Spit. The horn was going when the steering wheel was turned due to a broken plastic piece that holds the brass ring and badly worn bushes.
Found a Herald one in good condition and decided to fit it. Rather than drill a hole in the outer column to take the steering lock I decided to fit a switch on the dash.Had an old Lucas one at home complete with keys that I'd taken out of something years ago.
Sorry purists if this upsets you but I can now put the key in and start the car without poking about in the dark recesses and with my seat belt on.  8)

Can doo it another way, take a feed frae the ..crank ..position on switch, and  take that to a Push button switch, or flick switch, then you got the best of both worlds.
Also fools folk,cos they cant start it. :) :)

Had this on mine for years now, no probs at all

actually did this on the MX 2 weeks ago,as the ign bit snapped,so got a Nobb,and a key now.

maybe of intrest to some folk.
M

4365 wrote:
how will that go with the new MOT regs?

there's loads of scare stories about the new regs one of which concers non-functioning streering locks

I guess a Mk4 (mines a 1500 Mk4??) should have a functioning steering lock

Don't think the new regs are an issue in NZ ;)

But....over here I reckon drive in with a spitfire or whatever old car, and unless they know the cars well (unlikely) or there is something very obvious (avoidable) then the tester will not have a clue.
I really want to avoid that daft "key between your knees" issue with my car, so it may be a dash fitted switch like the early spitfires/heralds, or a late 1500 column.

4365 wrote:

there's loads of scare stories about the new regs one of which concers non-functioning streering locks

Easy on a Spit - you just take it off and the tester will be none the wiser!

4365 wrote:

The answer being if there is none fitted they cant test it
Like windscreen wipers......if you have no windscreen then they dont have to be tested

oops!!

If all else fails-Read the Instructions!   Wairoa
New Zealand

should've read the instructions!!

If I've read the scare stories corrrectly (which I am sceptical about), if it isn't fitted and it was when the car was new it will fail. I'm hoping to go for a chat with my classic car aware MOT man this week and hope to get some accurate info. The stag forum, Land Rover forums and MG forums are rife with stories of MOT problems

I'm just interested to get an accurate answer

cheers

You will find it will differ from garage to garage.
I always go to the same garage. Once you get a good one then stick with it. Plus my tester once had a spit when he was younger so we end up talking the same old stories over again each year. What I tend to do is leave the hood down because he has got to the age where he struggles to get in and out of it.
Which is funny as he's about 15 years younger than me and I have no problem.
Also I have a stick on number plate on the bonnet which he passes.

Archived