Column stalk switch - full beam

Raider

Lost full beam at night, downhill whilst pressing on somewhere in deepest France - not good :-/

Dipped was OK and we could "flash" main beam so we carried on of course.

Now, I have removed the column stalk switch expecting some burnt out contacts but it appears not. When the stalk is flicked forward to full beam contact isn't made - it seems that the element or whatever you call it is now no longer strong enough to reach the contact.

Attached is a photo showing what I mean.

I can't see a way of fixing this right now - any ideas?

Quite simply, it's knackered and you need a new one. This is a common problem on these cars. You need to re-wire the headlights through relays so that the column switch is only switching a small current. The reason it's gone is because those farty little contacts are switching the full current in the circuit. The Sprint I've just rebuilt came with an already dead switch which has been replaced. Now I'm going to do the above conversion when I can regain some enthusiasm.

• 2 weeks later...

darrenspitty wrote:
Iv'e also had this problem thanks for the relay tip. Please be careful with the wiring block I have no idea how the canley boys got them through the gap on the column . I got the old one out but I went for the external wiring with cable ties with the replacement unit.
Darren

I pop the pins out the plastic holder, feed the wires/ pins through the plastic tube round the column, then pop them back into the plastic socket. Takes maybe 5 minutes in totaland keeps things neat and tidy :)

• 4 weeks later...

When i did Snowdrop's indicator stalk there was enough room to get the wire through the column without having to remove the plug. Silvery's tip is a good one but it would only apply to the post-76 Dollies. The earlier cars had a different plug which can't be removed without destroying it. The only way would be to dismantle the adjusting bracket so's you can get to the wires.

Archived