Mk1 headlamp switch (& Mk1 PI wiper)

James

After my headlamp switch died somewhere late at night in France on the 10CR - I need a new one.

Anyone got one? I remember someone offering but can't remember who.

Also - a 2 speed Mk1 PI wiper switch would be great - but probably very rare!

Cheers! James

I have been watching that set for months.

There was 1 other set in last 8 months, went for about a fiver, stupid finish time that I intended to make good use of, but of course forgot as it ended at a stupid time...

DOH!

Don't forget to do the relay mod before you replace the switches. They really are piss-poor design inside.

Cheers

Colin

timbancroft61 wrote:
super fast wipers.

Super fast.. ha.. ha... ha....

It is well worth stripping the rack down and cleaning the rockhard grease out and putting nice new stuff in.

It made a massive difference on our grey car, from barely able to wipe a dmap screen to able to wipe a dry one without slowing down.

Out of interest, you have tried pushing the wiper switch a second time to see if there is a faster speed there haven't you???

:-)

Colin

All 2.5 PI MK1 cars had 2 speed wipers the wiper motor is visually the same as a single speed MK1 item but has a third wire for the second speed, the speeds are normal and fast.  As far as I am aware fitting a MK2 speed motor to a MK1 would be more trouble than its worth especially as the 2 speed MK1 motors were fitted to lots of other BMC cars of the period.  The hardest part will be finding a 2 speed MK1 wiper switch either new or second hand, however I do have a brand new boxed Lucas one spare but it will cost you dearly I'm afraid!  Still a worthwhile conversion to standard MK1 2000 cars if you can find the parts especially in poor/heavy rain - British summer time!!!!!!!!!

jcarruthers wrote:

That's why I need to replace them :)

So you could say I deserve it :)

So you spent all that time doing lovely wiring diagrams for the website and then didn't bother to fit the mod. yourself ... that's nearly Darwin award territory  ::) ;D

I had zero prep time before the event - I was even attempting to finish the loom on the morning of the run.

Was my fault for putting in 130W mains and not leaving the horrid standard ones in there.

Thanks for the heads up on the wiper motor sallyann - I knew it was something pretty straight forward.

Don't even consider it, I suspect it will self destruct.

TRy lots of very careful cleaning with various potions first.

Cheers

Colin

p.s we did ours in using 100w main beams. Never though out the poor old switch, assumed the relay did both sorts of main beam rather than just the flash.

Archived