Vitesse mk1 2litre spin on oil filter position

daver clasper

Hi folks

Have seen a few photo's of these on the forum, where the the filter is angled below the oil pressure relief valve. Mine is fitted above and is horizontal.

So. Is it straightforward to adjust the adapter position so the filter angle is lower and is the bit less oil drainage from filter worth it?.

I guess there's less access to undo/tighten the filter in this position?.

Any help great.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, same car and got the filter in the position youre thinking about. Its very easy to do as you just slacken the main fixing bolt slightly and rotate the whole assembly to the position you want. Its mounted on a rubber o ring and if youre careful wont even leak oil while you do it. And I do think that the oil pressure builds quicker after a cold start with the filter below horizontal in fact its a pity I cant get it vertical....

Dave, if ye get the small filters that wer fitted to the Reliants, then the filter will sit underneath, an verticle

And, if change the thread in adapter, then there even moer smaller depth filters aboot that will fit.

Butt, thee,s things still dont stop the oil delay problemo
ne matter wot type of filter /adapter is used.

Only a Markusump will doo this

M

Hi Dave, dont know what oil pump youve got fitted but I changed mine to the later bigger one and it has really helped reduce start up rattle, tick over low pressure and of course general running lube. Pretty easy job and not expensive either.....  

Quoted from glang
Hi Dave, dont know what oil pump youve got fitted but I changed mine to the later bigger one and it has really helped reduce start up rattle, tick over low pressure and of course general running lube. Pretty easy job and not expensive either.....  

You must have been lucky and got one with halfway decent tolerances then.  These must be checked/measured before fitting as some are worse than the worn out remains of the old one!

Nick