What is the best make/type of oil filter?  

Scimher

...Resurrecting an old thread - having done a search, this thread mentions the 'correct non-return' oil filter. Having an old 1200 Herald convertible with the 'Dolly' 1300 engine under the bonnet, I'm just wondering what the technical experts would recommend? I've used Fram in the past & the one that is on now is a 'Wix', I think, which I've not heard good reports of...
...There has always been a 'death rattle' on start-up, with the oil light taking a few seconds to go out, from cold...

...I have a 1200 Herald convertible with a 1300 'Dolly' engine in (according to the engine no.). I'm due to give her the annual oil/filter change. In the past I've been given Fram filters by the local motor factors but, last year, it was a Wix' - which I've read adverse reports on. With either of those the car has always exhibited the customary 'death rattle' on start-up with the oil-light taking several seconds to go out, from cold...
...Just wondering what filters the cognoscenti recommend - there is a type with a non-return valve, or summat, isn't there?

...Thanks, Steve, for  the reply & link......'Mann' it is then as I've read the whole thread. Bit confused about which one with all this talk of adapters - the Dolly 1300 was always just a modern screw-on arrangement, I presume, so anyone know the ref.no?
...(Sorry about the double post - I thought my original together with the old thread had disappeared, hence re-posted it!)

Yep, spit etc have a 5/8 thread. Not many filters with that thread, but IF you can get hold of an adapter that is 5/8 one end to 3/4 the other, there are bazillions of options, including the one mentioned above (OE was a ford diesel or something, not that it matters)
The adapters are available in the US. I managed to get a friend to bring a dozen back a few years ago that were snapped up. Otherwise postage is horrible.
Maybe we need to find somebody who is travelling from the US back here to get another batch.

Wix 24037  is the baby

What did you sell them for before Clive? Want to make sure it's worth while before I get him to order stuff.

Last time he came over he brought me a load of 'Gas Monkey Garage' stuff as the overseas postage was eye watering. Annoyingly a week into his stay they announced that they would be opening an EU distribution centre to save on shipping costs!

Ah, I did it for nowt. Just covered the cost of the adapters and postage when I sent them out. £4 each IIRC, but I got them via ebay which was a real faff as vendors listed 10 (or whatever) then emailed to say they only had 4 etc.
Then dear old Bill bought them over, and I passed them on.

They seemed to be largely snapped up, and even recently I had an enquiry. There is a market, I reckon a fiver a pop to cover grief/hassle/cost/postage is cheap enough. You may make enough to have a couple of beers out of it. But more importantly offer a useful service. In fact, you could probably ebay them for a tenner a pop (incl. p+p) as there are loads of filters being flogged for spitfires etc that say they need the adapter, but nowhere to buy them.

Ideally, I would by 100 and play the long game.....

Quoted from cliftyhanger
They seemed to be largely snapped up, and even recently I had an enquiry. There is a market, I reckon a fiver a pop to cover grief/hassle/cost/postage is cheap enough. You may make enough to have a couple of beers out of it. But more importantly offer a useful service. In fact, you could probably ebay them for a tenner a pop (incl. p+p) as there are loads of filters being flogged for spitfires etc that say they need the adapter, but nowhere to buy them.

Ideally, I would by 100 and play the long game.....

Hmm, weight could be an issues then, but another cousin is coming over from Canada during the summer, so 50 each...