Clutch return spring GT6

John Bonnett

I see I've been beaten to it while typing....

My suspicion is there should be one, although that's largely based on experience of my 2.5PI, where the clutch pedal return spring had broken. I had a long-running problem with the clutch not working when the engine was really hot (e.g. middle of a massive traffic jam after two hours driving). When cold, it was fine. When it played up, pumping had no effect. Then one day I discovered that lifting the pedal (foot under and hoik) fixed it for the next several operations. That's when I began to investigate the pedal itself rather than the hydraulics, and found the broken return spring. The weight of the pedal was enough to close the fluid return valve so that the system couldn't re-fill after the fluid expanded and contracted. Lifting the pedal away from the plunger, even a tiny bit, avoids the problem.

Quoted from RobPearce
I see I've been beaten to it while typing....

My suspicion is there should be one, although that's largely based on experience of my 2.5PI, where the clutch pedal return spring had broken. I had a long-running problem with the clutch not working when the engine was really hot (e.g. middle of a massive traffic jam after two hours driving). When cold, it was fine. When it played up, pumping had no effect. Then one day I discovered that lifting the pedal (foot under and hoik) fixed it for the next several operations. That's when I began to investigate the pedal itself rather than the hydraulics, and found the broken return spring. The weight of the pedal was enough to close the fluid return valve so that the system couldn't re-fill after the fluid expanded and contracted. Lifting the pedal away from the plunger, even a tiny bit, avoids the problem.

Thank you Rob. Yes I can see how not having a spring could cause a problem.

Quoted from RobPearce

My suspicion is there should be one, although that's largely based on experience of my 2.5PI, where the clutch pedal return spring had broken. I had a long-running problem with the clutch not working when the engine was really hot (e.g. middle of a massive traffic jam after two hours driving).

Interestingly, I still get that issue with your estate, usually when shunting through traffic, or if needing a lot of clutch work when parking and not necessarily if the car is particularly hot.

I'd assumed the master cylinder was on it's way out, but haven't had a chance to investigate fully yet. I'll check the pedal movement, thanks Rob.

Russell.