More oil pressure thoughts

curtis

What would a reasonable oil pressure be on a 1500 engine?
When hot I have 55ish at 3800 and probably 25ish at 2000. This was during a rally at the weekend so the engine was well hot.
I don't have a fan blade, only a Kenlowe.
How easy is it to fit an oil cooler to a Herald. The engine is 1500 Spit.
What do you need and who has the bits?

That's enough questions.

Curtis

PS A couple of months back when I was competing in the Alpes and it was much colder the above pressures would have been 60 and 30.

I would say 25 ish at 2000 is too low, book says 40 - 60 at 2000.

First - do you believe your gauge?  Have you got another you can try?

What oil do you use - should be 20/50 and thinner can give oil pressure/consumption issues.

Low oil pressure most likely due to worn bearings (1500 notoriously short lived) or maybe a worn pump.  Some new pumps have poor tolerances and  give low pressure when hot.  Always worth lapping the body to give minimum endfloat before fitting. 
Also just possible your relief valve spring oif damaged or the valve itself does not seal properly.

What pressure do you get at idle? Ideally should be 20 - 25 psi although 10-15 probably more normal on a used engine.

Oil cooler may help although they can appear to reduce cold oil pressure

To answer your original question, it is pretty easy to fit an oil cooler on a Herald.
You need:
- The cooler - 13 row probably,
- the take off adaptor that goes between the block and oil filter
- suitable hoses (heater hose will NOT do!)
- thermostat as too cool is just as bad as too hot - some take off adaptors may include this although I prefer separate myself.

cooler can be mounted where ever convenient in good airflow - try to minimise masking of the radiator though.

The cooler, thermostat and pipes can be got almost any decent motor supplier or raditor shop as they suit any make, adaptor will be nearly as universal.

Canley, Jigsaw, Merlin Motorsport, Demon Tweaks to name but a few.

You can see (just about) all parts on this pic of my Herald, cooler infront of the rad, thermostat below the alternator, take off between block and filter.  This is a small crank 1300 (approx 85 hp) and the thermostat doesn't open unless I really cane it.  When I had a 1500 in there it was open alot more.

Cheers

Nick

Archived