mocal oil coolers

scotty71

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo

But the actual designs, technology, manufacturing etc have all changed.

An engines an engine, it's the same principles.
Coldest air in, hottest air out,

We have a far better understanding of the physics, but it's all the same rules.
Keep your coolant hot, but don't let your oil get too hot - and Triumphs pushrod engines have always had an issue with oil temperatures.
A combination of a basically poor design stretched  far to far and a domestic market that didn't force mass manufacturers to address oil breakdown during high speed running. German and Italian cars of the period were far more durable thanks to their markets need to run on Autobahns and Autostrada.
Triumph were well aware their engines had issues with oil temperatures when they started fitting as standard or offering oil coolers as a dealer fitment for cars being exported to the Continent and the USA in the 1960's.

Quoted from Spitfire6
Hi,
I would not be wanting to add extra ZDDP to an oil even if the additive was free. Maybe on a new rebuild, But I would not be using an expensive oil for the first couple of hundred miles.

Yes, totally agree for normal running using proper quality oil for our engines but this is for running in a newly built one. I was trying the find the right balance between oil that was suitable to allow rings to bed in without glazing, while having enough ZDDP in there (via an additive) to try and protect the cam and followers.

I was planning on using something like Comma Motorway 20/50 (dirt cheap I know, but that's not the point) and a ZDDP additive in the right proportion.

However, looking at the link in John SB's post re Lucas Oils, their break-in 20/50 seems to be ideal, so I'll use that for the first 200 miles.