oil turn`d to jelly?

nicmk1est

hi all
did a oil and filter change before the weekend,,,new filter and comma classic 20/50(green stuff)
now when i check it this morning,it said max mark on dip stick but it like glueeee stuff and little lumps :(     (oh f@%k)

just taken of the sump and the oil has turn`d to jelly

any idea`s what gone wrong
here`s a picture

the whole sump of oil is jelly`fied

video---

that looks like whats found int bottom of sumps after 50 odd thou miles.
its all black,
you sure you actually put in fresh oil, and no put the old stuff back in.!!!

I be onto Comma tech  if it were mine.
http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/index/6/1
M

Looks as if the new oil has shifted all the old deposits that are alwyas present and washed them into the sump.
The internal metal surfaces of the sump in the pic are spectacularly clean!
I wonder if your batch of oil had an excess of detergent in it.

Don't go to Comma, go to your supplier.
JOhn

Weird!  What was the last lot of oil you had in there?  Did that look normal when you drained it. Not had a any Castrol R anywhere near it have you?  Or any other separate additive?

I'm a regular user of the green Comma 20/50 stuff and it's always been fine......

Nick

PS.  I think it would be worth contacting Comma technical just for some pointers as to what may have gone wrong even if you ultimately have to go back to the original supplier for redress.

this can is the twin pack i got off ebay,,,first can ok,just changed it last week and this happened....ive used comma quite a few times and never had this but then i got it from automotive shop near me but then these turnd up on ebay 2 for £40 del`d....automotive do them for £27.50 a can and no to castrol r/adds
still got the old oil and its good but thin n black

Ughhh!

I'd give it a run with flushing oil and change it again.

If buying good oil on the internet, I recommend VR1 from Europarts. Its normally expensive £33 but they often do 20%, 25% off the list prist. At the moment its 30% off with a discount code.

Let me know if you want the promo code, and their price includes free delivery.

Nic

I guess you (luckily) didn't run it the next morning, probably saved you a mountain of heartache.

I reckon it  wasn't Comma 20/50 in the cans, never seen anything like that before. I would send some for testing, you still have the other can and hopefully some of the jelly.

I can recommend the VR1, at about £25 it's good value. Though it does seem to produce a lower pressure than the Millers I also use. 10psi less, never wavered from that all the way round britain, always 10psi less. I wasn't the only person who noticed that.

Cleans the engine out nicely as well, so must have qite a bit of detergent in it.

Cheers

Colin

Some thoughts here
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176490

Quite a bit of stuff about it on the web (you are not alone) with lots of conflicted theories about it.  The saner ones include:
- interaction with antifreeze from small internal coolant leak
- ethanol interaction (from fuel)
- very old stock oil

If you ever do get a good answer please share it as I'd like to know what not do to so I can avoid doing it.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Some thoughts here
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176490

Quite a bit of stuff about it on the web (you are not alone) with lots of conflicted theories about it.  The saner ones include:
- interaction with antifreeze from small internal coolant leak
- ethanol interaction (from fuel)
- very old stock oil

If you ever do get a good answer please share it as I'd like to know what not do to so I can avoid doing it.

Nick

well,after cleaning everything,its all back together with the old oil,not the jelly stuff! everything running ok good oil pressure and wet top end
im hoping it not antifreeze getting in,might have to change headgasket to be sure
not sure about the fuel interaction,,,would the oil smell of petroly?
fingers cross its bad oil
not fussed about investigating the jelly oil,il just stay away from crap on ebay! oil,rubber etc