Wierd oil leak - no clue as to source

John_Weston

This has me stumped! Spit 1500 - I've redone all the brakes and h/brake cable etc.... During the process I obviously had the front in the air, then the rear (horror story of 'restoration' work previously).
Whilst the rear was in the air a puddle of oil appeared under the car. I didn't notice until I dropped her back down and took her out to the parking I have opposite.
It appears the leak was in the gearbox/bellhousing area from where the car was standing.
Now it's parked up there isn't a drop! Engine fluids and bottom of box etc.... all OK no leaks apparent and oil levels fine. Worried this is a disaster looming, but can't find out where from  >:(

Floor remnants the usual colour of old engine oil - so points that way. But damned if I can see the source.

Any ideas fellas?

Doesn't the engine scroll seal (bellhousing) leak if a car is parked on an incline on some Triumphs depending on the type of seal and the angle of incline? That could be what happened if you had the car jacked up oil could creep past a seal.............

I wouldn't worry. I am sure someone will come along and explain exactly what has happened.

neilnaz wrote:
Doesn't the engine scroll seal (bellhousing) leak if a car is parked on an incline on some Triumphs depending on the type of seal and the angle of incline? That could be what happened if you had the car jacked up oil could creep past a seal.............

I wouldn't worry. I am sure someone will come along and explain exactly what has happened.

Don't think 1500s have a scroll seal for rear of the engine, but still bet the oil creeped by the rear seal.  

The early 1500s have a scroll seal in the bellhousing (John said it leaked when the rear was raised) so I think Neil is right a little oil has leaked from the gearbox. Nothing to worry about but check the gearbox oil level & top up if neccessary (EP90 GL4)

Quite likely that having the back of the car in the air made the level at the front of the gearbox higher than the bolts that fasten on the bellhousing to the box and/or the input shaft.

Of the five bolts that hold the bellhousing on, only the bottom one has a copper sealing washer on it.
I had the same leak from my box while the rear was up when I did driveshaft repairs.

Could also be from the back of the engine into the b/h then dripped out when you raised the back.

Just keep an eye on the levels for a while. Sure you'll be fine
MArk

My car used to leak from the rear crankshaft seal when parked nose uphill, and from the gearbox scroll seal when parked facing downhill. I could always tell which oil it was within a minute of starting, as it burnt off on the exhaust pipe.

The solution was to move to a flatter country.

I don't know about the overdrive version but the non overdrive 1500 gearbox is definitely designed to eject oil out of the vent on the top lid.  And the system is also carefully designed to drip that oil right on to the exhaust pipe for added aroma.  There is a screen on the underside of the lid which is supposed to stop oil splashing up against the vent.  It is a sort of ski jump sloping screen open at one end but oil can get thrown up it and pressure, presumably from increasing temperature, pushes it out never to return.  A DIY designed screen stopped the problem, but I later added overdrive.

Archived