Synthetic oils vs old school oil

boxcorsair

Hi all

This might be a bit of a non-issue, but I am of to grab various oils and lubes this weekend for engine, gearbox, trunnions etc. I have all the recommended types from the workshop manual, however the majority of local shops, a least, appear to be selling synthetic alternatives.

Is there any difference in operation? Is there any impact of the grade/type.. e.g. is EP90 the same regardless?

Cheers all

EP90 is definitely not the same regardless.

You don't want to put GL5 spec EP90 in our cars - only GL4

Although I understand that there are now some GL5 spec oils which are safe to use you must check they won't degrade the bronze phosphorous (?) metals in our diffs & boxes

GL5 is readily found - GL4 is not so easy.  Mail order / internet seems best source.

You can get GL4 from Halfords. It is clearly marked on the front of the bottle and should do the trick for gearbox and diff. As for the engine, I have always used 20/50 from Duckhams, Millers or Halfords. I have heard it said that once run in a Spit can use a synthetic like Mobil1 but it's not something I've tried!

I have had similar experiences to Rotoflex's using Amsoil products in both the engine and the gearbox. I stopped using them and the leakage abated. The car still marks its territory, but nowhere near as much or as expensively. YMMV.
                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                    Paul

Archived