bluespit

my 1500 spit leave an oil mark on the floor when it's parked up after a run, It's enough to want to fix it but nothing too much to cause alarm. Before I go looking where are the most likely leak sources? Sump, crankshaft seals or something else?

cheers

4365 wrote:
my 1500 spit leave an oil mark on the floor when it's parked up after a run, It's enough to want to fix it but nothing too much to cause alarm. Before I go looking where are the most likely leak sources? Sump, crankshaft seals or something else?

cheers

Get an old roll of wallpaper or similar. After run place it under car and then identify the exact location
Front of engine....timing cover or crankcase bridge or crankshaft oil seal
Rear of engine....crankshaft oil seal
or
Sump for both areas
Bell housing.....crankshaft oil seal or gearbox to bell housing seal
Rear end....diff front pinion seal or diff stub axle seals

Good hunting

im not sure the wallpaper under the car is accurate ? i have an oil leak at the front, which i suspect is coming from the recently replaced crank seal or TC cover. however under the car oil is dripping off the chassis, and im pretty sure my chassis isnt leaking oil ? seems to get blown back from whereever its coming from.

Front crank seal is a favourite on these cars, and as Fizzy says it tends to blow backwards to cover the sump and chassis. The best sign of a leaking crank seal is a line of oil splatter exactly in line with the front of the engine on the inside of the bonnet where it gets flung by the rotating crank.

Archived