Oil in the inlet manifold.

gfiandy

Hi,
I have discovered a small pool of oil in the inlets manifold. I am assuming this has been sucked through the emissions control,crankcase positive ventilation system.

I have a moss alloy valve cover and seem to remember someone saying these are short of a baffle to prevent this. Has anyone worked out a fix foor his?

I also noticed that the rear carb has to be run quite a lot richer presumably because of the extra air entering, is this normal?

See photos,

Andrew

I would give the smiths valve a clean out and make sure the diaphragm is sound.

oily deposits in the intake track are not overly important , it could even be due to overfilled  dashpots

not best to judge from a photo but the jet should be approx 2 mm lower than its holder, yours looks nearly  flush which  to me is set on the weak side

what filters are you using ?

Pete

I would give the smiths valve a clean out and make sure the diaphragm is sound.

oily deposits in the intake track are not overly important , it could even be due to overfilled  dashpots

not best to judge from a photo but the jet should be approx 2 mm lower than its holder, yours looks nearly  flush which  to me is set on the weak side

what filters are you using ?

Pete

I have checked the valve, it was ok, added jubile clips to the rocker cover vent tube. So I went through the whole tuning procedure and coul only make it worse.

I decided to buy a colour tune and try to work out what is going on.

Even with the jet adjuster full up the coulor tune showed the mixture a bit rich and very rich as the revs were increased.

I am thinking there are a few possibilities but the most likely seems to be the float is set too high. I opened the float chamber but could see no way to adjust it , I will have to read up in the manuals.

I guess the other possibility is very worn jet or needle.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Andrew

A couple of suggestions here:

1 If you are having to adjust the jet high to get the mixture right at tickover then the jet and/or needle is/are probably worn.  I think you have the fixed needle carbs so the jet might not have been centred correctly in the past.  I have found that the float height is not critical.

2 The standard rocker cover has a screen with wire meshing behind it all in front of the crankcase breather pipe to the pcv valve.  The alloy cover probably does not have a screen. (Mine didn't).  I suggest you fit a screen to stop oil being flicked by the rockers into the breather pipe.

Thanks for your suggestions. I plan to check the float valve just to make sure it's not leaking. I will also check the needle and jet to see what condition they are in.

Looks like I may bi in for a carb rebuild.

How did you attach the mesh?

Regards,
Andrew

Thanks for the advice on needle and jet. I inspected the needle and it looks like some one has been at it with 180 grit, well perhaps not quite that bad but it was really scratched.

I polished it with a bit of rubbing compound on the basis it would be better if it was at least smooth. I also reset the height othe needle it was too far back into the cylinder according to the manual.

Jet is still very high but colour tune is now showing the mixture is correct accross the rev range and you can see the mixture go rich then lean out when the car is revved up. Never had any luck with colour tune on webber carbs but it seems to work with the SU. ( webbers were in a cortina many years ago)

I will ordered a complete service kit for carbs but at least the car is running approx right.

Now to work out how to fit the screen.

Regards,
Andrew

Yes I did a wee mod to my box,  BUT my outlet pipe was facing down wards, so oil literally run oot.
used to use 1 pint evert 2-3 miles
now down to about 1/4 pint in 500  miles,
well thats whats going into catch tank

a combination of a doonward pipe , or a pipe with no internal sheild,as original,and  high engine vacuum on over run, and blow by, all contribute.

I actually pop riveted the cover on to the pipe, as mine goes right thru. so maybe need to make yours go thru further.   the serations are nothing, just a bit of sheet i had,
here the wee mod.

M