Oil cooler size 1/2 or 5/8 RV8

leylandracer

Whist i was having a war with the oil temp sender today (see other thread) i needed a new fitting for one of the oil cooler hoses, what surprised me is the kit fitted is 1/2" not 5/8" maybe bigger is not always better?

The bloke at the hydraulics shop said he could do me some 1/2" stainless braided hose inc fittings at a good price, so ill prob end up changing the ruber hose for the bling braided hose

Just a second thought re; the oil change ( THINK IM GETTING PARANOID TODAY) with the oil drained and filter off, it shouldnt make a difference priming up when i eventualy get the oil back in it, just dont want to be stood there biting my fingers off waiting for the oil pressure light to go out :-/

ONE OF THOSE DAYS :X

[quote by=leylandracer link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1163794010,s=0 date=1163794010] ... just dont want to be stood there biting my fingers off waiting for the oil pressure light to go out  ...[/quote]
Just make sure the engine doesn't fire immediatly

Buy some STP, & make up a mixture of 1 STP to 4 of your engine oil.  Back fill your pump, through the oil filter hose. This definately will not drain out, even after a couple of months, & your pump WILL prime.

That is, unless you make the damn fool mistake that we did once.
I was racing a Brabham F2, with a dry sump motor. One of the boys had discovered that the plastic bungs Girling fitted to their replacement master cilinders, were a perfect fit in the oil pipes from the motor to the oil cooler, & tank, in the front of the car. We used to pop them in to  keep dirt out of the pipes.

We always pumped up oil presure by towing the car, in gear, with no spark plugs, before starting after a rebuild. It generally only took 50 yards or so.
One night, we towed  that Brabham for about 4 miles around suburban Sydney, trying to get oil presure. Yes, thats right, "someone" had connected the oil hoses, without taking the bungs out.
It would have been an expensive mistake, if we had started the motor.

I think Mocal still offer both these hose sizes, and indeed some other sizes as well.

In their car specific oil cooler installation kits they mostly offer 1/2" but some are still advertised with 5/8th hose - if they think that the increased flow is required! Obviously enough the actual coolers are available with a variety of connections to match.

Archived