Engine flush before changing oil?

mazfg

I'd say no.
They contain massive amounts of oil detergents and other compounds that will loosen old deposits that have been sitting around, doing no harm, for years.    You won't get them all out by draining the sump, so some of those particles will remain in the new oil.

I'd say: if you have an oil cooler or a remote oil filter, blow the lines out with compressed air, or just detatch the lines from the block and let them drain over night.   Refill with the cheapest oil you can find, B&Q or such.  Run the car for fifty or five hundred miles - that cheap stuff is cheap because it's recycled and doesn't have the detergents and other long-life additives that 'proper' oils do.   It works fine, as oil, just not for as long!

Then drain and fill up with your desired long-life oil, draining the cooler etc if you wish.
Even cheapo oil will cost more than the "Engine Flush", but two flushes will remove crud more safely than one.

John

I'd removed the sump, clean that out and replace with new gasket.
Then as above use cheapo oil to flush around for a bit - drop that out they replace with something decent.

I had to remove my sump and the gunk at the bottom was really bad - but car had been standing for a while.

Regular oil change? Nope, don't bother. Modern oils don't sludge up like the ancient brands. Just take it for a brisk drive and drain while hot.

Wanting to flush the engine?

Fill it up with engine oil intend for diesel engines. That stuffs full to the gills with solvents, detergents and stuff. Drive for a few hundred miles or until you feel nothing more to be gained and drain… viola, nice clean internals.

Since I bought the car back in  March, I haven't done anything with the oil. Thought I'd give it the clean out regime, before putting some nice Comma sonic in. Like the idea of a cheapy oil as a flusher for a 100miles or so then drain and add new.
Is it worth changing the oil filter after adding the cheap stuff then again after the good stuff is added?

Thanks

3398 wrote:
Since I bought the car back in  March, I haven't done anything with the oil. Thought I'd give it the clean out regime, before putting some nice Comma sonic in. Like the idea of a cheapy oil as a flusher for a 100miles or so then drain and add new.
Is it worth changing the oil filter after adding the cheap stuff then again after the good stuff is added?

Thanks

El cheapo car oil won't flush much as its pretty much detergent and solvent free. Diesel oil is an old mechanics trick and won't harm the engine and will do a better job than most engines flush stuff.
Drain as normal while still hot, (wear gloves!),  and change the filter then add your normal stuff.

Be aware though, if the engine is really cruddy inside, the oil will shift a lot of crap that will rapidly block the filter so don't over do things on the milage.

Probably won't do any harm - might not do any good either!

When I had the sump off the PI recently after 40 odd years and 138K (pretty sure I was the first) there was a full 3/4" of sludge in the bottom which had to be scraped out.  Otherwise the engine was merely filthy inside with a pretty uniform layer of fossilised hydrocarbons.  I have dosed it with engine flush since into fairly clean (and cheap) oil in an attempt to free off (maybe) sticking rings.  This did turn the oil impressively black after 30 mins running but didn't cause any lumps that came out when it was drained.

In the main these engines are simple with simple lubrication systems.  Sludge only really collects in the rocker shaft, around the rockers and valve gear (latter a sign of fairly serious neglect) and in the bottom of the sump.  Not like more modern OHC stuff with all kinds of muck catching nooks and crannies too clog at the top end.

Nick

JohnD wrote:
Interesting.
People saying, naaaah, don't bother with cheapo oil, it'll shift nothing, use this stuff which "will shift a lot of crap that will rapidly block your filter".

Isn't that what I was saying?
I'll get m'coat.

JOhn

Diesel engine oil is very detergent, far more so than any petrol engine oil. regular cheap petrol engined car oil isn't very detergent at all and will just basically go round and remove nothing sludge and gunk wise.
Diesel oil also has additives that make it very good at holding crap in suspension as diesel engines are very dirty. 'Engine Flush' is just basically some thinners type solvent that dilutes the oil and the resultant solvent/oil soup is not very good for the engine if used for any time and the dissolved crud will rapidly settle out of suspension if left in the engine.

3398 wrote:
@ Wolfrace

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0077177

So, some of that should do the trick?? 15W/ 40 won't be too thing I hope?

That'll do the job. It's cold this time of year and you're presumably not going to be thrashing its nuts out while you bimble about  while the diesel oil does it stuff.

Consider that 'proper' engine flush dilutes your engine oil down to little better than 3 in 1! Hence ad, tickover for 10 minutes , drain - anything else and it can bugger the engine.

Archived