oil water coolers

Clive

Heres the background. I have a 1500 engine in my Toledo, and no oil cooler. I like the idea of the oil/water coolers as they heat the oil up when cold, and keep it at the correct temp when the engine is hot. At least thats the idea....
And BTW I am tight!

Having looked around there is nothing really suitable at a sensible price, but I have found these oil coolers from bikes. The bolt thread is different (metric) but I can't see it being too tricky to either remake the bolt with the correct thread. or maybe cut the metric end off and attach the old 3/4unf end, leave the other and use the bike oil filter (slightly smaller, but still has anti-drain valve, and a higher flow rate)
Does it sound like a plan? the bike coolers seemto be about £15 or so delivered on fleabay 8)

Oh, found this, harley one,  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHROME-HARLEY-OIL-COOLER-ADAPTER-EVO-84-06-SPORTSTER-C_W0QQitemZ120485416605QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item1c0d7d8e9d   3/4-16unf thread (same as triumph) and the filter is so close in size (or at least the gasket is) that I am pretty certain the std triumph filter would fit. �38 delivered from china.....wonder if its any good??

EDIT>>>>Damn, think this one is just a oil take-off plate rather than a combined cooler

mikew wrote:

Why attempt to alter the threads, there are plenty of hose repair companies out there that will make hose and unions to your requirements -- Pirtek springs to mind - take the parts in, and with hose lengths defined they will make what you want.

mike

I went to Pirtek to get a high pressure fuel hose made up for the PI, they wanted £150-odd
Bugger that I thought.
Annoyingly the hose in the boot of a Mk1 is shrter than a Mk2, so I now have an oversized hose until I can get one made up at a reasonable price

Cheers

Colin

Something suitable is fitted as standard to numerous VAG cars:

Golf GTI mk 2 and 3
Golf 1.9 TDI
Most of the Audi 1.9TDIs
5cyl 2.5 TDIs have too but slightly larger.

They do occasionally fail allowing oil into the water.  Cost about £ 10 from a scrappy or £ 80 odd from a dealer.

http://www.rabbitgtipage.com/Modific/oilcooler.html

Nick

Edit: A quick rummage on the various VAG spares sites suggests they can be had new for around £ 45.

You'll probably find that the same sort of threaded extension tube that is used on a normal sandwich plate will do the job and you can almost certainly get one of those from Think Automotive though I can't see them listed separately on their website.

Failing that I'm due a scrapyarding session fairly soon - need to see if my local failure have restocked on R100s.....

Nick

thescrapman wrote:

Annoyingly the hose in the boot of a Mk1 is shrter than a Mk2, so I now have an oversized hose until I can get one made up at a reasonable price

Colin,

I had mine made up at Think Automotive for about £40. You are talking about the High Pressure flexible hose aren't you? They also made up the one in the engine bay.

Either take the old one there (Isleworth) or post it.

They also supplied all the ends for me to re-plumb my PI, but I have a 'good' lever style flaring tool.

Archived