Clutch Master Cylinder Went Pop!

GT6Craig

Went out to my car today and as i leave it in gear i went about depressing the clutch to pop it into neutral...but there was nothing, the clutch pedal was limp and had zero resistance when i pushed it down.

Up went the bonnet and it became apparent that my master cylinder had ejaculated over night and removed all the paint around the cylinder, and down the bulkhead in the process.

I thought the clutch system was only under pressure when you exerted a force on the pedal? not quite sure how i have managed to loose all the fluid...Oh well, new ones on order and at £28 inc postage i cant complain. Just means i have to use public transport until it comes - which is much more expensive

Well i bought one of them "uprated" jobs off eBay and must say it feels much better than the original one. Maybe i have bled it more efficiently this time but the clutch is much stiffer, stable, and has improved my confidence of chucking it in gear no end. Took 20 minutes to do the entire job. Winner!
if anyone performs this swap, bare in mind that the original metal cap wont fit, you will need to use your old push rod, and the washer on the push rod may need grinding or filing down a couple of thou to fit in the new cylinder.

Archived