Carburettor heat shield

Alex

I need to replace my heat shield and wondered what people would recomend?
The one currently fitted is a big alloy one that gets in the way when fitting the exhaust etc.
I've seen some that almost look like a flat sheet with holes in and others that look the same but alloy.

What the opinion/benefits of each?

Thanks
Alex

I've always thought that the alloy ones are a bit dubious in design as they would conduct some heat to the carbs across the inlet flanges whereas the original Triumph design has some built in insulation. This is not based on practical experience just my logical thoughts for what they are worth (probably not much!)...

Alex wrote:
I need to replace my heat shield and wondered what people would recomend?
The one currently fitted is a big alloy one that gets in the way when fitting the exhaust etc.
I've seen some that almost look like a flat sheet with holes in and others that look the same but alloy.

What the opinion/benefits of each?

Thanks
Alex

You have PM

Stainless deflects heat, alloy absorbs heat ,so when hot still allows heat to the carbs

How does that work? They both conduct heat they are both silver to reflect radiated heat? I'm not having a go just trying to understand.

For example when camping if I want to keep a handle cool when flames are kicking over it I wrap it in alloy foil and the foil stays cool to touch as does the handle under it.

I have gone for a double skin stainless version.
I m going to change a couple of exhaust studs too,can anyone tell me should new ones be fitted with more thread into the head or pointing out.....does that make sense?
One end of the stud has more thread than the other.

Thanks
Alex