Engine/carb problem...???

Rui Guimaraes

Hello everyone!

A few days ago I had a sudden loss of power on my mk1 GT6 like the engine was running in only in 5 or less cylinders.
I've checked and rechecked the ignition system and everything looked to be OK but the problem persisted.

Today I've changed plugs, distributor cap, points, condenser, rotor and ignition leads but it is still the same

Later today, i have removed the filter box and putted the engine running again and there is a ratleling noise coming from the front carburetter which I can not identify

Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening?

Thanks
regards
Rui

I've checked both things on the front carb and both were perfect... :(

Decided then to measure the compression of the cylinders and bad news...

Cylinders no.1 and no.2 only get to 3 bar. All the others are OK with 9.5 bar.

Anyone has any ideas? Bad head gasket??? What could do that to both cylinders at one time?

Thanks
Regards
Rui

It certainly sounds like the head gasket.

Have you removed the valve cover & then observed the valve train while idling?  It would have to be something unlikely such as valves stuck open or broken on both #1 and #2, but you never know.  The rattling sound is hopefully not broken valve springs (or valves).

Hello again.

Decided to go forward and to remove the head tonight.

2 hours of work and then good news...

Now it only needs a good decoke and light skim to the face.

On question can anyone tell by the last photo if the engine has been rebuild?

The pistons are marked as follows:

+ 020 X24

Thanks to all
Regards
Rui

PS - here are also some pictures of my distributor restoration.

+20 means it's certainly been re-bored - thats a well blown head gasket!!!!
Looks like core plugs have corroded through and manifold gasket blown as well, hard to tell from pictures but bores look to be well worn and looks like you are getting blow by on the rings from the amount of carbon and fouling on the head. Now you have the motor that far in bits be worth looking at bottom end as well. That looks to be a pretty knackered engine.

Reckon that 2 litre will go on for years - clean up the head - chuck some new core plugs in and keep driving :)

Rebuild is fraught with sub standard parts , unnecessary expense and lack of ability to drive the car.

All that soot and carbon indicates it needs a good thrashing and possibly leaning off a bit

Archived