Catch tank installation and carb settings?

Nilfisken

Hi,
just got a round to install an oil catch tank on my Spit 1500, pictures will follow :)

I followed the route taken by a few other members by connected the pipes on the sides of the carbs (that previously received air from the rocker cover) to each other with a normal fuel hose. Should I need to adjust the jet position after such an installation since the airflow around the jet nozzle should now more or less only come from the airbox, and to much less degree from the old vent inputs? Or is the amount of air normally being fed trough the rocker hose very limited?
Cheers

Hi,
there is a drain-plug at the bottom of the can sealed with a rubber o-ring, the can fits very well like it is now, but will probably make one more mounting hole in the radiator support, feels safer with two bolts but for now it will do. I think the one I used now was meant for the engine valance boards?
Cheers

In theory this should work, as far as I get it the pipe back from the rocker is an emission thing supposed to burn fumes from the valve train together with the normal air/fuel mixture from the carb. The catch tank is instead taking care of this extra messy oil-mist and makes sure the carbs only get clean air/fuel.

You may find now that your engine will leak as you are not pulling the fumes out of the rocker cover as much as you would when connected to the carbs.
I've done a similar thing on the Sprite & ended up with breathers all over the place, dizzy take off, rocker cover, timing cover & two 1 1/2" ones in the sump, while i was there i also out in a drain back to sump for the catch tank.
RR

Archived