Sideways Tim

Hullo chaps. My '72 has had a bit of judder when setting off in reverse for a while and yesterday I noticed it in 1st too. Later when pulling off from some lights up a slight hill with two of us aboard, the revs rose when I accelerated in second. Clutch slip I thought.

So, adjust, replace or look at any other issues? Your advise is much appreciated.

judder can be from many places, from engine mounts, to diff mounts or just worn down to rivets

slip can be worn disc  ...  or a partial seized slave cylinder /or seized pedal pivots not allowing
the system to drain back/recuperate when foot is 'off'

just some thoughts,  Peter

Hmm, my clutch would judder before it went (I'm still fixing it now).

It could be one of the mounts, or misalignment of the clutch, or worn friction material or worn/broken clutch plate fingers. So it could be as cheap as mounts - although they don't tend to be easy to fit, especially engine ones, or as expensive as new clutch components. Hopefully when I was driving in this manner (it wasn't constant, only happened when pulling away in first gear) hasn't caused any damage to the gearbox components.

Once I have resealed the slave cylinder, checked the hydraulic and mechanical system and had a look at the clutch and mounts, hopefully I'll have a clearer picture for you and me.

Kind regards,

David

If it's slip then it'll most likely be worn friction material. Gearbox out job but no major hassle. There seems to be a load of clutch topics at the moment so all the info and advice is there.

As to the judder, some cars do it regardless of everything being fine. The Herald use to do it when it felt like it - no rhyme or reason.

Archived