High Oil Pressure - is it ok?

Antonnick

From the old Forum I described how I had a strange rumbling from the Engine of my 13/60 Herald when trying to accelerate from 70 kmh. I had some very useful tips and in the end, fitted a recon Crank which cured the problem - also cured the clonking after a cold start. Very pleased.

When I got the car originally and fitted an oil pressure gauge, the pressure was indeed very low when warmed up. about 35psi at 80kmh and about 10 to 15 psi on tickover. I fitted a new oil pump and the values were normalish 20psi on tickover and a bit over 40 at 80kmh.

Now ! With the new crank, even with the engine warmed up totally I get 80psi at 80kmh and 35 at tickover. Also when cold, the maximum of also just over 80 psi so I presume this is the relief valve cutting in - that I also had renewed. .

This is way over the Triumph recommended 40-60 psi in the manual. Should I be concerned or just be grateful? 

Hi, how are you measuring the oil pressure? If its with a mechanical dashboard gauge then they can be quite inaccurate so I think your reading is acceptable but for piece of mind you could check the relief valve spring is within specification...

Thinking about it I would be more worried if you showed a low pressure at tickover but 80psi at speed as that could indicate the PRV isnt opening correctly. However as yours is high across the range (valve open and closed) it must be due to tight tolerances and/or high reading gauge....

Getting 80psi at speed is fine. The gauge may well be a little optimistic, or it may just be that all your bearing clearances are nice and tight. My GT6 had a new crank and new oil pump (which I set the clearances on before fitting) and went from no oil pressure at all to 80psi hot running, 35psi hot idle, 100psi cold at 60mph (which is definitely on the high side!). I worried a bit but decided to just drive it. 28 years and 5 RBRRs later it still gives the same figures, so I don't think it's a problem.

That is very reassuring, thankyou both. The gauge is a standard mechanical one i.e. a braided oil pipe connects up to it.

On this very sunny day, we are off to Amöneburg in an hour or so which is about 70km away and a very picturesque town . Should be a good test run. 

ha, unfortunately its not just the oil you use because over time all will get diluted with fuel (old design and worn engines are worst!) so the viscosity goes down along with oil pressure...

and now theres even more fun sorting out your brakes😆

As an aside, what reputation does Mannol have in Germany? I believe its oils are made there (or at least the company is German) and although its relatively unknown in the UK their products seem to offer a very good specification for the price...

On 10/05/2021 at 16:50, glang said:

As an aside, what reputation does Mannol have in Germany? I believe its oils are made there (or at least the company is German) and although its relatively unknown in the UK their products seem to offer a very good specification for the price...

I have used Mannol oil in my ride on mower (don't laugh) and it's been ok. I bought in the spec and the price. A John Deere engine is expensive so i wanted a good spec. I would also use their 20/50 when my  current stock stock of Morris run's out.

Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a true high oil pressure when hot, I would look at lowering the "Weight" of oil used as suspect when started a lot of the oil never makes it around the engine.

I have never detected any fuel in my oil when changed. My car uses a lot of fuel.
Wish it did go in the oil. Might condition the seals & keep it topped up.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1