Show me your fog lights (front/rear) and/or daytime driving lights (w/ interior switches and wiring if possible)

DVD3500

Hi all,

I have a problem… as I wait patiently for work to continue on my project my mind wanders.. and then wonders about solutions seeking problems.

Seriously though, I have always liked fog lights. I live near a forest and it is not uncommon to have fog.

Also our cars are so small anything to make them stand out is probably a good idea. My plan is to make my car a daily driver so “being seen” is bit of a concern of mine. I am also making more or less a custom dashboard so looking for good places to put switches while keeping things close to original (note: I will not be installing a radio so that space is free).

Here in the EU a rear fog light has been mandatory since the early 80’s. Daytime running lights since the early 2000’s. Googling has not really brought up a lot of examples, mostly rally cars that are too big and bodacious.

Can we please not have discussions on whether putting any of these things on a Spitfire is a good idea or not. As I have said often: there are actual people who actually enjoy Morris Dancing; to each his own!

This is purely a thought exercise. Nothing more nothing less

Regulations in Germany are over and above those of most EU countries but don’t let that worry you.

Questions/musings/general inconsequential incoherent ramblings:

1.      I know the last batch of European Spitfires actually had rear fog lights. I think I have a pick in one of the books I have:
Does anyone have a picture of one that was originally fitted?
Ideally I would like to see the standard switch on the inside as well as any clues as to how it was wired.

2.      Front fog lights were fairly common in the 60s and 70s. I would like something subtle and close to period but I am really open to anything.
Any pictures appreciated with switches and ideas for wiring.

3.      Daytime running lights tend to be cold blue/white and could clash with the soft warm white/yellow our cars produce (until LEDs become legal where I live).
Nevertheless I am looking at options.
Please post. I promise not to judge.

Thank you all in advance!

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

I know the last batch of European Spitfires actually had rear fog lights.

I believe they were the standard BL retrofit of the time - I had a late Dolomite with one. It was a rectangular pod bolted under the rear bumper. Very much an after-market solution just fitted at the factory. On the 1500 Dolomite, even the switch was an after-market accessory type, although they did add a proper tell-tale jewel light in the gauge (base model had a fuel + temp in a 4" housing, like the Herald 13/60)

As you say it's a very good idea to have a rear fog light. On my TR4 I have converted the offside reversing light to be a fog light using a red LED bulb and retaining white lens. The nearside remains a reversing light and changing it to a LED means the light at the back is better than it was with incandescent bulbs when reversing.

Dave

• Like 1

classiccarleds sell a "dual filament" bulb that is used to replace a std reversing light bulb. So it still works as a reversing light, but can also be a red rear fog light. A b-very neat idea.

At the front I have used soem Ring DRLs, simply connected to ignition live. They are thin, so fitted tight to the underside of the bumper. However, a couple of he leds in each have failed, luckily the same ones so doesn't look too daft. I will eventually replace them, I have thought of using new headlight units with sidelight facility, making that a DRL. 

As to foglams at the front, there are some small types available. But you are right, the leds tend to be a very white light, I prefer a more yellow tinge. Esier on the eyes at night. (same reason I hate the LED instrument bulbs, I like my instruments to dimly glow at night, rather than causing white glare in the cabin)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Batch said:

As you say it's a very good idea to have a rear fog light. On my TR4 I have converted the offside reversing light to be a fog light using a red LED bulb and retaining white lens. The nearside remains a reversing light and changing it to a LED means the light at the back is better than it was with incandescent bulbs when reversing.

Dave

UK regulations specify a minimum distance between the brake lights and the fog light which is a problem I ran into when planning to change a reversing light on my TR7 to a fog light. This probably applies in Europe so it may well be illegal in Germany

On a similar subject, has anyone found a suitable high level brake light either OE or as an after market item that will look ok on a Herald? Not yet sure if the rake of the rear window glass will make any difference. I want it to look as period as possible - even though such a thing wasn't around in the 1960s - and not look like an accessory from the Carlos Fandango catalogue.

Edited by Craig

5 hours ago, Clive said:

classiccarleds sell a "dual filament" bulb that is used to replace a std reversing light bulb. So it still works as a reversing light, but can also be a red rear fog light. A b-very neat idea.

At the front I have used soem Ring DRLs, simply connected to ignition live. They are thin, so fitted tight to the underside of the bumper. However, a couple of he leds in each have failed, luckily the same ones so doesn't look too daft. I will eventually replace them, I have thought of using new headlight units with sidelight facility, making that a DRL. 

As to foglams at the front, there are some small types available. But you are right, the leds tend to be a very white light, I prefer a more yellow tinge. Esier on the eyes at night. (same reason I hate the LED instrument bulbs, I like my instruments to dimly glow at night, rather than causing white glare in the cabin)

Oh... I like that idea... stealthy. I would have to double check legality of course.

5 hours ago, Howard said:

UK regulations specify a minimum distance between the brake lights and the fog light which is a problem I ran into when planning to change a reversing light on my TR7 to a fog light. This probably applies in Europe so it may well be illegal in Germany

Yes there are of course rules around that. Particularly the distance from the edge of the car and in relation to the plane of rear lights etc... Still I need to check it to be sure WHAT the rules are...

4 hours ago, Craig said:

On a similar subject, has anyone found a suitable high level brake light either OE or as an after market item that will look ok on a Herald? Not yet sure if the rake of the rear window glass will make any difference. I want it to look as period as possible - even though such a thing wasn't around in the 1960s - and not look like an accessory from the Carlos Fandango catalogue.

There are tons of lights in various shapes and lengths.

I have been looking at a few. One for the Körbler hard top I have and possible one that is a similar profile and height to the rear trunk/boot trim that I can integrate into the lid of the trunk/boot.

• Like 1