ahebron

Afternoon
During the slooooooow rebuild of my 6 I am fitting a megajolt system for the ignition.
I am mounting the trigger wheel behind the front pulley to keep it out of the way.
When I look at photos of where people mount there crank sensor they all seem to be on brackets bolted to the chain cover fixings
Would it not be neater to weld a bracket onto the timing chain cover?
Is there any reason why I cannot do this?
The timing pointer on the cover will be coming off as it will foul the trigger wheel.

Adrian

I have recently fitted Megsquirt to my Herald, so ignition only but about to start on the fuel side.
I made up  a bracket to hold the sensor and bolted this to the timing chain cover, it does give you some flexibility. I mounted mine about 50 BTDC, you can correct for the position of the sensor in the software. I think the manual recommends mounting it some way BTDC as there pulse train will before reliable before the fitting stroke.
I would not take the timing pointer off as you will need to check and calibrate the timing (with a strobe) and you need the timing parks to do this.
Am surprised that the trigger wheel will interfere with the pointer, on mine (its a 4 cylinder engine) the trigger wheel is slightly smaller diameter than the pulley, Will see if I have a picture that I can upload.

good luck

regards
mike

Thanks for that Nick
My trigger wheel is just larger than the harmonic balancer so I will need to move my timing pointer.
I know mounting it on the back might mean a slight amount of movement in timing but I am hoping it will be minor due to the inherent smoothness of the Triumph 6.
Anyway it has to be better than the distributor.

Adrian