Sat Navs

if you have an android device, prefarably a Tablet you can use OsmAnd, free or with a yearly suscription of IIRC around 5 EU, uses Openstreet maps and can display any GPX files. 

Advantage, or disadvantage, depending on how you look at it is that you will have to download all the maps up front, and they are, if you go for the full fat ones, quite huge....

I am using that for all my drives.

You can plan on RouteYou, need an account though, again free, and once finished you export your route to any format you want, including garmin ones.

dirk

Enjoy the nicest routes in English | RouteYou

OsmAnd | OsmAnd

27 minutes ago, Saltddirk said:

if you have an android device, prefarably a Tablet you can use OsmAnd, free or with a yearly suscription of IIRC around 5 EU, uses Openstreet maps and can display any GPX files. 

This is true, after a fashion. If you load a GPX into OsmAnd then it will follow it blindly but no longer knows anything about roads, so it won't tell you when there's a junction coming up.

Personally I cannot see the fascination of sat nav`s and files for the 10CR. Knowing how Raider and PD and crew trundled around the unknown in the early days and having done the 10 CR a number of times just for the fun and enjoyment.....following the route book and maps....I don`t understand the need for sat navs. The 10 CR isn`t a rally/race so a route book and map should suffice to enjoy its philosophy.Don`t get me wrong sat navs are OK if you happen to stray and need to get back on course, but they do take the enjoyment out of it......Stands back and waits....  

Can anyone recommend a good quality road atlas for the area of Europe we are heading for?

Each of our cars has a UK atlas in it as you never know when it will come in useful.

I was looking on Google maps yesterday evening at the places where will be staying overnight on the 10CR. I am happy to admit that my knowledge of the geography of that area of mainland Europe is very limited!

Bruce

13 minutes ago, Rubce said:

Can anyone recommend a good quality road atlas for the area of Europe we are heading for?

Each of our cars has a UK atlas in it as you never know when it will come in useful.

I was looking on Google maps yesterday evening at the places where will be staying overnight on the 10CR. I am happy to admit that my knowledge of the geography of that area of mainland Europe is very limited!

Bruce

We have Philips 12 miles to the inch, A4

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rubce said:

Bruce

This is my selection which has gone with us twice now - and will again in 3 weeks time. The Germany one also covers Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg. We don't worry about Liechtenstein as Roger and I haven't ever been more than 20 yards into it! 😁

20220815_222818.jpg

20190905_055505.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/08/2022 at 22:33, richard w said:

This is my selection which has gone with us twice now - and will again in 3 weeks time. The Germany one also covers Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg. We don't worry about Liechtenstein as Roger and I haven't ever been more than 20 yards into it! 😁

20220815_222818.jpg

20190905_055505.jpg

....and don`t forget your varifocals so you can read them🤓