Sat Navs

Back in 2009 I did my 1st 10Crย ๐Ÿ˜ย and loved it, had some amazing adventures over the years ๐Ÿ™‚

for this event I purchased a new Garmin which I have used ever since (using Tyre free software to build and load routes)

Tyre no longer exists and my sat nav no longer seams to load GPX files properly (Last few times I've tried it just goes from point to point and doesn't follow the roads)

Please can anyone recommend a replacement?, can I now achieve the same thing on my phone and load a route in?

ย 

Yes I know I can use a map ๐Ÿ™‚ย but honestly navigation is of no interest to meย 

ย 

ย 

IMG_0223.JPG

BaseCamp is the Garmin software. Garmin in express is the software that's needed to link your Satnav to a computer to check for updates.

Things to try

1) Make sure you are using an original Garmin cable AND that it's working correctly. If possible borrow a know good one to check.

2) Make sure all the updates have been installed using Garmin express - which probably includes Garmin express update as well.

Google maps can be used but there are limitations using it these days.

ย 

ย 

Interesting topic.
I have a modern Tomtom but it doesnt do itinerary planning anymore (great shame) it does do POI, but the desktop app will import a GPX file.

Does anyone have a nice complex GPX file from a previous 10CR or similar that I could have to try to import into TomTom drive to see how well it works?

cheers

mike

ย 

21 hours ago, Hurricane 1600 said:

Back in 2009 I did my 1st 10Crย ๐Ÿ˜ย and loved it, had some amazing adventures over the years ๐Ÿ™‚

for this event I purchased a new Garmin which I have used ever since (using Tyre free software to build and load routes)

Tyre no longer exists and my sat nav no longer seams to load GPX files properly (Last few times I've tried it just goes from point to point and doesn't follow the roads)

Please can anyone recommend a replacement?, can I now achieve the same thing on my phone and load a route in?

ย 

Yes I know I can use a map ๐Ÿ™‚ย but honestly navigation is of no interest to meย 

ย 

ย 

IMG_0223.JPG

Albertville??

ย 

I have a TomTom GO Premium X.

Seems you can load GPX files in the web based TomTom Mydrive.

Once loaded it needs to be 'finished'ย  and then sync it with the satnav. Route seems to be complete with all the twiddle bits on it although it doesnt show the waypoints (or whatever TomTom call them) on the satnav that appear on the Mydrive application.
I am not sure if these waypoints can be converted to 'Stops' or POI and then they should appear on the SatNav.

I need to do some more playing.

BTW TomTom now have an app for Apple and Android which can sync routes and they say can download maps onto the phone.
~ยฃ20 per year or ยฃ3.99 per mpnth with a free 1 month trail. Will have a play. If you use a TomTom then it would be a nice backup.

mike

So you can import GPX files into MyDrive
Pressing 'save to my routes' sends the route to the Satnav as a GPX file. The satnav will follow the routes defined in the GPX files exactly. It wont display the waypoints on the display and wontย  use the traffic info data for rerouting etc.
In theย  'My Routes' menu on the satnav there is an arrow in front of the filename. If this is a dashed arrow the route is a GPX route if its a solid arrow its a ITN route.
An ITN route can be sent to the satnav by pressing the 'Send Stops' option. The data is now on the Satnav in ITN format and the route will uses 'stops' and calculate the best route between 'stops' depending on the traffic data etc. You can delete stops as you go along and the time display will show time to the next stop rather than the final destination. This is similar to the old, very useful, itineraryย  system that used to be on older TomTom SatNavs.
BUT you cant save the route that has been sent to the SatNav and it can only have 20 stops in any one route....ย 
ย 

The alternative to Tyre is MRA Routeplanner which lets you load all sorts of files and then export them in different forms.
There is a free version, I brought a lifetime Gold licence at very good price.

Mike

ย 

BTW There is a very good discussion about route planning on the TomTom forum, and how to force the Satnav to follow a track rather than optimise the route. It discusses what happens with routes in Mydrive and Basecamp etc.

planning routes โ€” TomTom Discussions
Post 25 onwards.

There is a very good quote.....
...planning routes is fraught when you need to move the route from the planning tool, which has it's own settings and routing engine, to a device which will most likely have different settings and, if from a different manufacturer, a different map and routing engine. Even devices from the same manufacturer have different settings.

Time to go back to a marked up Road Map! ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Mike

Edited by mpbarrett
  • Like 1

Does anyone else use a "Movement Schedule".ย  I was taught to do this as part of my Motorsport training.ย  ย  The technique is very widely used in transportation, the military etc.

In this application it prompts you to consider every aspect of the journey, timetables, route, papers, equipment, personnel and what you would do in an emergency, etc,etc.ย  I use the technique to plan the first three, using the online AA Route Planner and thenย  print out the resulting plan.

ย  ย Transferring the route to the sat nav is then easy each morning, using the "via" button if I don't want to go the sat nav's chosen route.

John

ย 

19 minutes ago, sparky_spit said:

And just after that control stop there was a very long climb to the top, in torrential rain, and with frogs hopping about on the hairpin bends.

Petit St Bernard pass in fact (and itโ€™s quite big enough in the dark and rain). Had forgotten the frogs!

Do vividly remember trying buy fuel in Aosta and doing battle with those crazy Italian payment machines, which didnโ€™t (then) take UK cardsโ€ฆโ€ฆ We were eventually rescued by a lovely local guy. Iโ€™ll never forget the expression on his face when we told him where weโ€™d come from, and where we were going๐Ÿ˜€

On 23/06/2022 at 11:57, mpbarrett said:

BTW There is a very good discussion about route planning on the TomTom forum, and how to force the Satnav to follow a track rather than optimise the route. It discusses what happens with routes in Mydrive and Basecamp etc.

planning routes โ€” TomTom Discussions
Post 25 onwards.

There is a very good quote.....
...planning routes is fraught when you need to move the route from the planning tool, which has it's own settings and routing engine, to a device which will most likely have different settings and, if from a different manufacturer, a different map and routing engine. Even devices from the same manufacturer have different settings.

Time to go back to a marked up Road Map! ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Mike

I end up arguing with satnavs, they have a use but sometimes they just drive me crazy when they get stuck in a โ€˜loopโ€™ then the shortest way takes an hour longerย 

much prefer route planning on atlasย 

Hi Folks, can anyone advise which Garmin models have the trip planning feature (ie allow multiple way points)? . I was planning to use my daughters for 10CR but some b****r has stolen it from her car so Iโ€™m looking for a second hand eBay bargain at the mo. Cheers!ย 

Most of them will accept route .gpx files, but there are a few things to watch:

1. Does the Garmin on Ebay come with free map updates (some did & some didn't) - buying them separately can be expensive.
  2. Does it still connect properly to a computer? The oldest Garmin I have will not update or load routes, but otherwise it works...

Amazon sell a selection of Garmin units, including some refurbished, guaranteed units which are probably worth looking at.

@Howardย thanks for the advice. I must admit that I didnโ€™t know that Amazon Renewed existed! Thatโ€™s given me another dilemma now. There are lots of what appear to be recent second hand units on eBay for ยฃ30-40 and the Amazon renewed ones start at ยฃ75-80. Tough decision!