Proshaft question.

Dannyb

57 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

They should slide but they shouldn't be loose. Once fitted it probably won't slide much, so tightening the cap then is probably OK. Does it really lock it solid or does it just make it very tight? I'm guessing there's a rubber seal behind it that's being compressed onto the shaft.

It locks solid, well to the point I cannot slide it by pushing down with all my weight.

Just wondered because I've always had a knocking from back of gearbox, when I took it off ther was a slight play that felt like uj play. But when tightened slightly the play went.

Does it matter what way round this goes. Can I pit the slider at the diff end. 

Danny

41 minutes ago, Dannyb said:

Does it matter what way round this goes. Can I pit the slider at the diff end. 

This is a topic that gets mixed answers. When I had a new prop made for my GT6, the chap at Bailey Morris said it doesn't matter and you should fit it the way that makes it more likely you'll grease the slider.

Had my Dolomite prop off recently to replace the bearing. When I put the parts of the prop back together I blew the end out of the spline portion, therefore, there is, and should be a vent in the end hidden by the UJ which I discovered as a small hole in the end cap. When you tighten the collar you could be producing an air lock.

Regarding correct fitment, I always thought the correct way was to put the sliding section next to the dif. The Dolomite was fitted with the spline next to the gearbox so I presume that is the correct way to fit the prop on all Triumphs?

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Have you had the joint apart? I have had one that had rollers in it, which caught me out and I had to search the garage floor. But it would be possible for a roller to drop out and jam. Possibly.

Not had it apart. It's only a few years old. I think I will fit it with spline at the diff end this time as its impossible to grease or tighten up the cap unless I remove the exhaust.

Danny